Sunderland Sunday League: Butchers’ hook snares title rivals Southwick

Have your say

HENDERSON Butchers climbed to the top of Division One, leapfrogging Southwick after a convincing 3-0 win.

Southwick just did not turn up on the day and Butchers showed their class.

Kevin Humble was untouchable in the centre of the park and pulled the strings.

Carl Old fired the first goal to settle Butchers’ nerves.

Dan Makin increased the lead to have Shaun Graham dreaming of promotion, then David Halliday sent the home faithful into raptures with a killer third goal, leaving them on the brink of promotion with just three league games to go.

Grange Park have gone from promotion hopefuls to relegation candidates, and Ryhope Top House put them to the sword 9-1 in a one-sided game.

Goals from Bewick, Tench (2), Taylor and Slee had Top House 5-0 up by hal-ttime. Grange Park showed a little fight and pulled a goal back, but the Ryhope men took over again and star man Jordan Birnie fired four goals to finish the rout.

Thorney Close Inn tried in vain to overcome The Ashbrooke at the second time of asking, but the visitors were just too good and ran out 2-0 winners. Man of the match Cooney put them in front and super sub Dom Laws came off the bench to finish off a great move for 2-0. Surtees shone for Thorney. 

Redhouse Last Orders legend Paul Stokoe fired the only goal to halt Stackyard’s run of fine form. McKeown shone for Stackyard, with keeper Middlemiss best for Redhouse.

Man of the match Adzy McQuillan led the line well for Jolly Potters in a 3-0 Third Division win over Washington Wetherspoons. Gary Baker fired a brace, followed by an Allan Taylor goal. Daz Flynn stood out for Wetherspoons.

Ryhope Railway Inn edged a 3-2 win over Washington Last Orders, who came back after being two down with goals from Mark Ward and Neil Cook. But Ryhope took their chances and, after Dean Machin scored a brace, Ben Davis nodded home the winner.

The Dolphin continued their impressive winning streak with a 4-2 success at Washington Colliery.

Coomber and Jonny Martin had Dolphin in front, but Colliery fought back to level with goals from Cummings and Naisbett.

With their confidence through the roof, though, Dolphin went in search for more goals and they came up trumps as Bailey and Anderson sealed the victory.

A Shaun Davies goal was enough to give Washington New Tavern victory in a dire display against Wear United. Gary Simmons impressed for Wear, but a point eluded them.

Ryhope CW came out on top 2-1 in their Premier Division derby against Guide Post.

Tony Storey’s men had Keiran Davies and Glyn Lamb on target, while Adam Young scored late on for Post. Guide missed further chances to miss out on a point.

Gary Shields rolled back the years for Humbledon & Plains Farm as he notched a fine brace to sink Myers 2-1. Steven Thompson reduced the deficit with a well-taken goal. The victory took Plainsy within two points of Farringdon ISL, still with a game in hand.

SR Dons chalked up three much-needed points against a tricky Sandhills outfit. Dons went 2-0 up before Rhys Antliff scored a wonder goal consolation.

Ashbrooke Sports Club crushed Martin Telfer Carpets 4-0 to move second in Division Four, upsetting the form book in the process.

Star man Jordan Ridley grabbed a brace, then James Simpson and Michael Brown added further goals to seal the win.

Front-runners TEF RA were different class when they demolished Millfield Oddies 9-2.

Town End were devastating in front of goal and Luke Bell showed his worth with a four-goal haul to set the tone. Josh Farquhar got in on the act to grab a brace. Oddies did pull a couple of goals back through Cook and Kershaw, but Town End were still rampant and Oxberry, Mitchell and Devlin sealed the deal.

The Lansdowne enjoyed another convincing win, thumping a poor Unite New Herrington Club outfit 7-0.

Tom Smith’s boys can be lethal on their day and they showed their quality as Lewis Lynch (2), Matty Frost (2), Hindmarsh, Shaun Smith and Tyson all notched. 

Tunstall Titans squeezed home 5-4 in a thriller against Jollies. Star man Andy Reynolds’ hat-trick led Tunstall to victory, with Wilson and Callan also on target.

Farringdon Detached extended their lead at the top of Division Two to five points after a 3-0 win over Victory Club.

Star man Jordan Wolfendale hit the first for Farra. Victory failed to create a clear-cut chance and Farra took advantage to score two more goals through McKeown and Archbold

Pennywell Comrades, beaten 5-2 at Oddies, did not have an answer to the attacking prowess of the home side.

Luke Taylor, Snowdon and Anth Clifton had Oddies 3-0 by half-time.

Josh Wilde scored twice to give Comrades hope, but Oddies extended the lead with an Eddie Wood brace.

Hylton Road Carpets Elite are pushing up the table, continuing with a 5-2 win over Harbour View, who have changed their name from The Cliff.

Paul Muir struck twice for View, but Elite were too strong and it was men against boys. Farrer scored a brace to level things up, then Gav Murton finished the game with a well-taken second-half hat-trick.

Welcome Tavern shocked Vane Arms, snatching an early lead through Daz Green. But title hopefuls Vane showed their spirit and hit back with a fine all-round performance.

Star man Mark Wasey led the line well, and saw Ben Stokoe level with a fine finish. Both teams missed chances before Adam Cushingham fired past David Brown to seal a 2-1 Vane win.

Lakeside SSC received five yellows and a red in their feisty 1-1 draw at home to Royal Marine.

Lakeside led with a good goal from Dan Simpson, but Paul Stephenson managed to injure a team mate with a trailing elbow hitting Craig Carney’s nose. Then, in the dying minutes, Marine swung in a corner and Stephenson managed to plant it past his own keeper, instead of heading away, to give Marine a share of the points.