Sunderland RCA sunk by Morpeth second-half power surge

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA remain entrenched in the Ebac Northern League First Division relegation zone after losing 2-0 to Morpeth Town at Meadow Park last night.

The Wearsiders successfully defended until the 67th minute when a former player, Keith Graydon, quickly took a free-kick which was converted by Jordan Fry.

At half-time, though, it looked as if the Citizens were on their way to another defeat, but they produced a superb second-half rally to win 4-1

Shortly afterwards, Martin Swales’ side was left chasing the game as Michael Chilton forced the ball home in a goalmouth scramble.

Durham City dented Marske United’s championship ambitions when they eventually won at a canter at New Ferens Park.

At half-time, though, it looked as if the Citizens were on their way to another defeat, but they produced a superb second-half rally to win 4-1.

Ian Chandler’s men weren’t in the hunt in the opening 45 minutes when Marske deservedly went in ahead with Danny Brunskill’s 29th-minute strike.

Even when Callum Patton levelled on 65 minutes, it was against the run of play, but from then on City romped home.

Patton produced a thunderbolt out of the blue which left Marske goalkeeper Robert Dean stranded and, in the last 11 minutes, Ryan Noble bagged a brace to clinch a dramatic victory.

In Division Two, Norton and Stockton Ancients’ promotion hopes received a setback at Chester-le-Street, where they were held to a 2-2 draw.

The Cestrians made a dream start with Jack Honour on target in the first minute and, right on the stroke of half-time, Danny Hepplewhite grabbed a second goal.

Michael Jamieson began Norton’s fightback in the 63rd minute and three minutes later Marcus Laing equalised.

Norton remain second, eight points behind Seaham Red Star and two ahead of Washington.

It wasn’t all good news for Washington, though, as they bowed out of the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup to Newton Aycliffe, who edged a 2-1 win at Nissan.

Daniel Hindmarsh was an early marksman for the visitors, but the Mechanics quickly equalised, with Mark Davison heading in a Richard Paxton cross.

In the last minute of the first half, Aycliffe were awarded a penalty which Hindmarsh drove past goalkeeper Neal Atkinson.

Despite having Paul Garthwaite sent off in the 70th minute, the visitors successfully defended their one-goal lead.

Ashington also reached the last four when they ended Guisborough’s impressive winning sequence. Lance McGlen and Kyle Oliver combined for Joe Moscrop to score the only goal.

Dunston UTS needed extra time before seeing off Penrith 3-2 after extra time. Nicky Kane and Andy Bulford had them two goals up, but Martyn Coleman struck twice to throw the visitors a lifeline, but Bulford fired a penalty winner in the extra half hour.

Shildon reached the Durham Challenge Cup final with a 2-1 victory at Spennymoor Town.

Mark Doninger volleyed home on six minutes and, in the 22nd minute, Lee Paul Scroggins fired home a penalty for 2-0.

Early in the second period, Anthony Peacock halved the deficit but Shildon clung onto their slender advantage against their Evo-Stik League opponents.

South Shields lost their Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup semi-final at Billingham Town, with Louis Whensley scoring.