Sunderland RCA keep up the momentum as title rivals drop points

Have your say

IT’S been a good couple of days for Sunderland RCA who, after winning on Tuesday night, have seen two of their rivals for the STL Northern League championship concede points.

Second-top West Auckland Town were held to a goalless draw on Tuesday and last night Spennymoor Town surprisingly went down to Consett who started the game precariously placed fifth-from-bottom.

But the Steelmen produced one of the shock results of the season winning with an only goal 11 minutes from time.

Dale Burrell’s shot was blocked and Anthony Lund pounced on the rebound, giving Moor’s goalkeeper Robert Dean no chance from close range.

Spennymoor’s best scoring opportunity came early in the second period when a direct free kick by Keith Graydon hit the post with Consett goalkeeper Peter Jamieson well beaten.

Bishop Auckland maintained their climb up the table and halted Ashington’s recent winning sequence when they too won by just one goal at Heritage Park.

There was little between the sides in the opening period but the Colliers had more possession during the second. It was Bishops though who found the net in the 81st minute with a splendid solo effort by Aaron Wearmouth.

He picked the ball up just inside the Ashington half and beat a number of defenders before slotting home past Karl Dryden from 16 yards.

At the other end of the table Penrith moved out of the bottom three with a crucial victory at Shildon who are now sixth-from-the-basement – their lowest rating so far.

Grant Davison headed into the net on 44 minutes and midway during the second period goalkeeper Keith Finch was again beaten, this time by Martin Coleman.

South Shields now look relatively safe from the threat of relegation after they defeated Billingham Synthonia with a stoppage-time goal.

Danny Earl gave Synners a halftime lead and on 74 minutes Peter Kane levelled after being put through by Sebastian Anzevui.

Shortly afterwards Kane held off a challenge to fire the Mariners in front but the Teessiders thought they had gained a point when Shane Henry restored parity in the 89th minute.

There was still time though for Kane to complete his hat-trick in the 91st minute and earn the Mariners three crucial points.