Sunderland RCA into semi-final after thumping win

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA put their recent indifferent form behind them and thumped Stokesley 4-1 in the quarter-final of the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup last night.

John Toft set them on their way when his fourth-minute free kick eluded goalkeeper Adam Pearson who was beaten again 13 minutes later with a superb volley by Martin Smith.

There was no respite for the visitors. Toft rattled the woodwork before Joe Walton scored twice in two minutes midway through the second half. Just before the end, James Decosemo claimed a consolation for the Teessiders.

Chester le Street romped into the semi finals of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Hebburn Town.

The Cestrians went in front when Robbie Draper was left with a simple tap-in on 30 minutes after Mark Davison had headed on a free kick.

Any hopes the South Tynesiders harboured ended when they conceded two goals in a minute immediately before the interval.

Ben Johnson converted a cross and immediately from the kick-off, Nicky Kane broke clear and fired in a left-foot shot.

Chester are joined in the last four by Marske United and Whickham. Newton Aycliffe, who are almost promoted, looked a good bet for the double but surprisingly crashed 4-0 at Marske whose marksmen were Derek Bradley, with a brace, Stephen Cochrane (pen) and Ben Thompson.

A penalty by Tony Thirkell was sufficient for Whickham in their tie with North Shields who after going unbeaten for 20 games, have lost their last three matches by a single goal.

In the STL Northern League First Division, Dan Robinson’s long journey from Penrith was almost unnecessary. He was sent off after just three minutes at Jarrow Roofing who secured valuable points in their fight against relegation.

The Cumbrians though battled throughout and it was only in the last 15 minutes that Richie McLoughlin’s side won with goals from Andy Jennings, Peter Watling and Dan Kirkup.

Ryton are relegated and lost for the 35th time in 36 games when Norton and Stockton Ancients won courtesy of Nathan Mulligan, with a penalty, and James Owens.

Damon Mullen directed a free kick from the edge of the penalty area around the wall and into the top of the net to earn Ashington the points against South Shields at Filtrona Park.

Horden CW eased their position near the bottom of the Second Division with a crucial victory over Morpeth Town at Craik Park.

Gary Redman split the home defence in the 23rd minute and Jack Honour turned the ball into the net from close range.

In the last minute Redman was fouled by Cameron Patrick who was sent off for a second offence but Andrew Richardson’s penalty was brilliantly saved by Adrian Langley.