Sunderland RCA grab point, and no stopping Washington

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA left it late before claiming a share of the points in tonight’s Ebac Northern League First Division game with Ashington at Meadow Park.

The Colliers went ahead after only nine minutes when they were awarded an indirect free-kick after goalkeeper Karl Morris had collected a back-pass.

James Harmison picked up the short kick and drove into the bottom corner of the net but Martin Swales’ side quickly hit back with an equaliser from Liam Hatch who converted a cross from Stephen Callan.

Harmison was also involved in Ashington’s second goal on 55 minutes. His header rebounded from the crossbar and Liam Atkin beat Morris from close-range.

With the clock winding down, RCA pushed forward and when visiting goalkeeper Conor Grant could only parry a cross from Callan, Luke Proctor was on hand to make the final score 2-2.

There’s no stopping Washington, who defeated leaders Shildon 4-2 to move into second place.

Mark Davison, Michael Coghlan, Ross Preston and John Butler earned the Mechanics a fifth win in six attempts.

Jonathan Davis and Danny Moore replied for Shildon, whose lead is now down to a couple of points.

Durham City became the sixth side this season to fail to score against Dunston UTS who amazingly have conceded just once in seven games.

The Tynesiders coasted to a 3-0 victory at New Ferens Park with goals by Adam Wilkinson, Matthew Briggs and Liam Thear. Durham’s Paul Wardle was sent off in the 76th minute.

Seaham Red Star suffered a 7-1 defeat at home to Marske United for whom Craig Gott (3), Danny Brunskill, Glen Butterworth, Nathan Mulligan and Jamie Owens all beat goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook. Sonny Andrews was the Star’s only marksman.

Whitley Bay were another side to score seven times when visitors Bishop Auckland, who ended with nine men after having Ollie Hotchkiss sent off in the 28th minute and Glen Lane on 67 minutes, failed to trouble Bay goalkeeper Andrew Jennison.

In contrast, Bishop’s keeper Rhys Jobling was constantly in action as the goals flowed from man-of-the-match Adam Shanks (4), Chris McDonald, Arjun Purewal (og) and Alex Kempster.

In Division Two, Chester-le-Street dropped back to second following a 2-2 draw with Ryhope CW who erased a two-goal deficit built up by Craig Marron and Craig Nichol.

The Cestrians had Michael Graver sent off in the 44th minute when they led by a single goal and following Richard Hodgson’s strike with the score 2-1, Ryhope went down to 10 men with the dismissal of Elliott Woods.

The numbers were now even and it was Ryhope who scored again through Connor Winter in the 89th minute.

Darlington RA are the new leaders following a 4-1 win at Billingham Town courtesy of Harvey Saunders (3) and Darren Kokes. Jack Connor netted for Town.

Whickham defeated Thackley 3-1 on penalties in the FA Carlsberg Vase First Qualifying Round replay.

Craig Jelley and Callum Broadhead struck twice in the first 120 minutes which ended 2-2.

Despite scoring first through Tom McPherson, Alnwick Town went out to Billingham Synthonia, whose matchwinners were Mattie Osmond and James Magowan.