Sunderland RCA back to KO City

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA produced a storming fightback to win last night’s Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup tie at Durham City, writes MALCOLM PRATT.

All seemed lost when City went two goals up inside 28 minutes, but three goals in 15 minutes immediately after the interval saw Neil Hixon’s side home 3-2 in the third round.

When Conor Winter was brought down in the 10th minute, Ollie Hodgkiss fired in City’s penalty opener. Durham doubled their lead when Ricky Fenwick’s superb cross was buried into the bottom corner by Paul Dixon.

RCA regrouped and cut the deficit on the restart as Aristote Guerin-Lokonga pounced when goalkeeper Gareth Young parried a Jamie Clarke header.

Two minutes later, RCA were level. Jordan Dixon was left unmarked as he lifted the ball into the net, then, on the hour mark, RCA celebrated again with Clarke firing the winner.

Despite cancelling out James Fairley’s early strike, Ryhope CW were unable to match Whitley Bay on their first-ever visit to Hillheads.

Chris Winn gave Ryhope hope with a good finish from the edge of the penalty area, but Whitley, and Paul Chow in particular, had the better of the second period.

Chow struck from 18 yards and then converted a penalty awarded for a handling offence against captain Phil Hall, who was sent off. Just before the end, man-of-the-match Chow completed his hat-trick.

Spennymoor won 3-1 at Celtic Nation after trailing early on, with Stephen Richardson and two-goal Mark Davidson turning it around.

Dunston UTS won 1-0 at West Auckland, with Andrew Bulford scoring after just four minutes, while Ian Graham was Newcastle Benfield’s match-winner at South Shields.

H Seaham Red Star lost for the fourth time in five games when Whitehaven emerged 2-1 winners in Division Two of the Ebac Northern League.

Darren Donald and Kevin Connelly were on target before Ivan Stoyanov threw Star a lifeline, but the Cumbrians held on to keep alive their promotion dream.

Jarrow Roofing are third and hot on the heels of Ryhope CW after beating Alnwick 3-1, thanks to Peter Kane, Andy Appleby and Liam McBryde (penalty).

Birtley Town secured a 2-1 win over Brandon United, after trailing to Owen Lancaster’s goal. James Allsopp levelled, then Ben Johnson headed an 88th-minute winner.

Tow Law continued their upward trend by defeating Morpeth 3-1, with two-goal Scott Thompson and Anth Lee netting.

H Struggling Norton gave Bishop Auckland a difficult night in the Durham Challenge Cup quarter-final.

Bishops only broke the deadlock on the hour mark, with Andy Johnson scoring. Dale Jardine added a second, with Bishops holding on despite Dale Mulligan’s reply.

Bishops will visit Gateshead Reserves in the semi-final.