Sunderland RCA are pegged back by Penrith

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA missed a golden opportunity to regain pole position in the STL Northern League when they failed to see off lowly Penrith at Meadow Park on Saturday.

Fifth-from-bottom Penrith shocked the Wearsiders when they went ahead on 28 minutes through Ben Jackson.

Carl Beasley restored parity a minute into the second half and RCA dominated much of the second period, but could not break through.

Neil Hixon’s side are second on goals difference to Whitley Bay and West Auckland Town remain third.

Spennymoor Town kept their hopes of a third successive championship alive with victory at South Shields thanks to Daniel Moore, Keith Graydon and Craig Ruddy.

Stokesley SC suffered yet another heavy defeat, this time at the hands of Bedlington Terriers whose marksmen were Anthony Shandran with a hat-trick, Ian Graham and Stephen Bowey.

Nathan Porritt scored only Stokesley’s 16th goal in 28 games.

Tow Law Town led through Mark Dixon at Shildon, but ended well-beaten following strikes by Richard Flynn, Chris Hughes (pen) and Wayne Gredziak.

Jarrow Roofing suffered another defeat, this time at the hands of Marske United, Carl Charlton, Lee Donachie and Anthony Ormerod the scorers.

Billingham Town’s prospects suffered a blow with a five-goal rout by Newton Aycliffe, for whom Josh Knox (2), Stuart Owen (2) and Ben Wood scored.

Consett’s Michael Mackay scored all four goals against Guisborough Town, who managed a couple from Nathan Steel.

Bishop Auckland left it late before defeating Norton and Stockton Ancients, with goals in the last few minutes from Gareth Ayers and Dan Hawkins (pen).

In Division Two, Easington Colliery remain entrenched at the bottom.

Tom Wilkie gave them an early lead, but Washington hit back with strikes from Lee Hamilton, Mick Evans, Ben Richards and John Wears.

Horden CW failed to make it a hat-trick of wins after leaking two goals in the first eight minutes to Kevin Price (og) and KyleDavis.

Although Jack Proctor threw the Colliers a lifeline, his goal was not enough.

Chester-le-Street went down to Darlington RA, whose matchwinners at Chester Moor Park were Carl Hewitt and Mick Ryan.

Birtley Town won at Northallerton Town, with two goals in the last minutes from Dan Hepplewhite and James Allsopp.

Craig Marron had given them the lead from the penalty spot, but the home side hit back through Dan Clayton and Colin Anderson and were in front until the last minute of normal time.