Sunderland & District Over-40s League: Parker puts wind up Ivy fighters

Steels SC (blue) take on Red House WMC in last week's Over-40s derby at Ford Quarry. Red House won 4-2. Picture by David Allan
Steels SC (blue) take on Red House WMC in last week's Over-40s derby at Ford Quarry. Red House won 4-2. Picture by David Allan
Have your say

IVY Legends and Durham City Strollers served up good entertaintment despite gale force conditions in their 2-2 Fourth Division draw.

Ivy, with the wind at their backs, pressed early, but Strollers created the better early chances.

Stand-in keeper Chris Jackson made two great saves to keep the sides level.

The pressure told, though, and Jason Pettits followed up his own shot to guide the rebound under the valiant keeper.

In the second half, Ivy played far better against the wind and created two gilt-edged chances that went begging.

Parker was given the benefit of the doubt in a tight offside call and lofted the ball over the advancing keeper to level.

Michael Cleugh’s outstanding individual goal then looked to have sealed all three points for Ivy, but Parker nodded an equaliser from a precise corner in the last minute.

Rolls-Royce were pushed hard before securing a 2-1 win over Hartlepool Vets, netting the winner from a free-kick.

Horden Sportsmans moved up to second place in Division Three with a convincing 4-1 win over Boldon Colliery Tavern.

Daryl Burns broke the deadlock, then Billy Scott made it two shortly after the restart with a low shot from the edge of the box. Steven Musgrove added a third from close range before Boldon got one back.

Tommy Dunleavy had to tip a shot over the bar to kill off a late comeback, then a late Stuart Ferguson header completed the scoring.

Washington JFC Biddick Inn blew a two-goal lead in their 2-2 draw with Hartlepool Stag & Monkey.

First Division front-runners Penshaw Catholic Club were held 1-1 by Hartlepool Gillen Arms.

Penshaw had a good spell at the start of the second period which culminated in them going in front when Jeff Tudor scored after 60 minutes in, but Linighan levelled 10 minutes from time.

Peterlee Helford and Wingate Cons both lost at home in Division Two.

Peterlee took a early lead against Houghton Cricket Club, Darren Little sliding home John Butterfield’s driven cross, but they squandered chances that could have put the game out of sight and Houghton equalised.

Little put Helford back in front with a fine header, but the cricketers levelled then bagged two second-half strikes to triumph 4-2.

Wingate struck first against Durham Stonebridge, Kevin Taylor’s free-kick flying in, helped by a slight deflection.

Stonebridge got back into the game before the break via the penalty spot, then they used the wind well in the second half, scoring twice from corners, including one which went straight in.

David Simpson was Wingate’s star man.

Easington CIU gave a good account of themselves in a 3-0 defeat away to Premier Division leaders Marden.

The home team went ahead inside quarter of an hour but CIU responded, Anthony Ward firing inches wide. Then, right on half-time, a cross-cum-shot was wind assisted into the back of the net.

Easington worked hard and held their own after the break, but Marden made it three in the final seconds of the game. Glen Hoyland starred for the visitors, along with Steve Adair.

Washington Cross Keys went down 2-0 to Hebburn Town.

It was 0-0 at half-time in a very even game, with decent football played despite the windy conditions. Chances were few on the restart, but Hebburn took theirs. Colin Smith, in his first game back from a hernia operation, stumbled past a defender and goalkeeper to slot into an empty net.

He then turned provider after his shot was parried by Washington keeper and star man Graham Abbott followed up to score in the last minute. Andy Lumsden shone for Washington.