Stephen’s double seals Shipowners progress

Have your say

ASHBROOKE Belford House belied their dismal league form to outgun Hartlepool 4-2 in the Shipowners’ Cup.

Belford, with just one win and a draw from eight league games, enjoyed the perfect start when Nathan Burrell headed home an early opener.

Stephen Bogie doubled the lead right on half-time, firing past goalkeeper Lee Barrett.

Burrell made it three with an excellent strike before a David Wells own goal gave Pool hope.

Bogie, though, quickly restored a three-goals cushion and Ashbrooke coasted to victory despite Danny Naylor claiming a late second consolation.

Silksworth CW produced another encouraging performance to win 2-0 at Richmond Town.

There were chances for both sides before a defensive lapse allowed Glen Hargrave to fire the Wearsiders in front after half an hour.

Andy Place made it two, collecting a through pass and sliding the ball past Daniel Yates.

Late on, Richmond pressed hard, but Silksworth comfortably held on to a two-goals cushion.

Ryhope CW comfortably progressed at the expense of Coxhoe Athletic.

Nathan O’Neil converted a 10th-minute penalty and he doubled the lead from a corner before Chris Winn fired a 20-yarder into the top corner for 3-0.

Easington Colliery won 2-1 at Jarrow, who led from the 39th minute. Jason Pressling played a neat one-two with Peter Kane before firing past Easington keeper Adam Heath.

A 60th-minute own goal by centre-half Kyle Pendergood levelled it up, then Easington’s Brett Gillatt claimed the winner when he scored direct from a corner.

Harton and Westoe gave 100 per cent table-toppers Stockton Town a real shock before losing by the odd goal in five.

Finbar Lynch’s seventh-minute opener and a Philip Lawton penalty, after he was brought down by keeper Michael Arthur, twice had Harton on top, but Kallum Hannah bagged both equalisers before a fine solo effort sealed his hat-trick, and the winner, close to full-time.

Boldon CA went out 4-3 on penalties at Seaton Carew after a 1-1 extra-time draw. Shaun Carroll latched onto a defensive error to give Boldon the lead, but Sam Cook equalised.