Star fighters go out in extra-time

Have your say

SEAHAM Red Star crashed out of the Durham Challenge Cup last night, but Ebac Northern League First Division championship challengers Shildon needed extra time before securing their place in the third round.

The home side went ahead on 24 minutes at Dean Street when a cross from Ben Wood was headed past Star goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook, who two minutes later scrambled the ball to safety as the Railwaymen threatened a second goal.

At the other end, Shildon keeper Lewis Graham saved a Connor Winter effort with his legs before Newbrook denied Smith, who was one-on-one with the keeper.

Seaham’s David Palmer fired against the post on 45 minutes and in the second half Mark Collingwood’s side began to hit Shildon on the break.

Anthony Laidler had a chance to equalise before, in the 90th minute, Daniel Grey levelled with a tremendous shot into the top corner of the net which gave Graham no chance.

Red Star’s hopes of causing an upset quickly receded in extra time and after Paul Connor restored the lead to the home side, three goals followed in quick succession from Nathan Jameson, Mark Hudson and Connor.

Wearside League team Seaton Carew rocked Billingham Synthonia by taking a two-goal lead through Matthew Kelsey and Robert Hammond inside the opening 11 minutes.

James Magowan quickly reduced the deficit, but it wasn’t until the 56th minute that Magowan struck again to level the score.

From then on, Synners took control and finished comfortably 5-2 in front, courtesy of strikes from Aidan Cattermole, Michael Sweet and hat-trick hero Magowan.

Consett gave an excellent performance in defeating Hartlepool United Reserves 4-3 at their new Belle View Stadium.

Michael Mackay was an early scorer for the Steelmen against his former club, but Pools rallied and stormed ahead through efforts from Zak Boagey and Nialle Rodney.

Just before the interval, Aristote Guerin Lakonga restored parity. In the second period, the Steelmen went 4-2 up courtesy of Scott Canham and Matthew Slocombe. The game was into added time before Rodney scored his second and Pools’ third goal.

Danny Johnson, with a brace, Tommy Marron and Anthony Hume led Guisborough Town to a thrilling 4-3 victory at home to Penrith, whose marksmen were Richard Faustino, Brandon Gwinnutt and Steven Rigg.

The win enabled in-form Guisborough to consolidate sixth place in the Ebac Northern League First Division.

Dunston UTS jumped four places to eighth, ahead of Durham City on goal difference, when they edged Marske United 2-0 with first-half strikes by Stephen Goddard and Gary Shaw.