Spennymoor take a draw after FA Vase exertions

Have your say

IT was a case of “after the Lord Mayor’s Show” when FA Carlsberg Vase winners Spennymoor Town and Shildon went through the motions in yesterday’s Ebac Northern League First Division game at Dean Street.

Spennymoor were already confirmed as runners-up to champions Darlington 1883 and Shildon had only pride to play for.

Not surprisingly, the game petered out into a 1-1 draw.

Shildon were first to strike on 30 minutes when a shot from Jamie Owens rebounded from the post and Sam Garvie drove the ball into the net.

Garvie and Owens had chances to double the lead before Jason Ainsley’s side levelled after an hour. With the home defence hesitant, Craig Ruddy took advantage and picked his spot, firing into the bottom corner of the net.

Shildon goalkeeper Jake Johnson made two excellent saves and Moor’s Chris Mason hit the crossbar but a draw was the fairest result.

Bishop Auckland just edged Bedlington Terriers at Heritage Park. Jamie Harwood headed in a Chris Bell corner on five minutes and Bedlington equalised midway through the opening half as Phil Bannister drove into the net after a Robert Eastway shot had been blocked.

Ashley Balfour hit the Terriers’ woodwork and only a splendid save by Callum Dobson from Andy Johnson kept the Tynesiders in the game until Harwood struck the winning goal with an effort from 12 yards on 50 minutes.

Consett, who will play their last game at Belle Vue Park on May 18 when they host the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup final between Newcastle Benfield and Spennymoor Town, succumbed to Marske United.

The Seasiders were comfortable after establishing a two-goal lead by the 35th minute courtesy of Adam Wheatley and John Alexander. The game was into added time before Leon Carling deflected an Ian Davison free kick into his own net.

West Allotment Celtic lifted the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup with a 3-1 victory over Northallerton Town at Billingham Synthonia.

Shaun Reid gave them a 49th-minute lead from the penalty spot and following James Bowman’s equaliser, David Dormand restored the advantage to the Tynesiders.

Celtic though then suffered a blow with the dismissal of Stephen Little and in the later stages Northallerton threw everything at them but left the way open for Dormand to score the third decisive goal three minutes from time.