Spennymoor knock out Sunderland

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA were second best to Evo-Stik League Division One North opponents Spennymoor Town in last night’s Second Round Durham Challenge Cup tie at The Brewery field.

Martin Swales’ side conceded two goals in the opening 21 minutes. Nathan Fisher drove past goalkeeper Jonathan Carmichael on 15 minutes and Stephen Capper fired home an 18-yard free-kick.

The Wearsiders improved but their hopes ended midway during the second period when Fisher latched onto a back pass and rounded Carmichael before firing into an empty net.

Washington also won by a 3-0 margin against Whickham.

They too made a dream start scoring twice with only 17 minutes on the clock. James Fairley gave the Mechanics a second-minute lead and when his shot broke to Michael Coghlan he beat goalkeeper John Mordey.

On the stroke of half-time, a deep cross found Fairley, who took one touch and hammered the ball low into the net.

Hebburn beat Willington with Owen Peterson, Chris Smith and Calvin McMahon goals.

Mark Bell’s 35th-minute equaliser raised the hopes of Willington but they missed the chance to go in front when Adam Burnicle’s penalty was saved by Gary Rogers.

Seaham Red Star extended their lead at the top of the Ebac Northern League Second Division to five points with victory in the derby at Ryhope CW.

Warren Byrne, signed from West Auckland Town, celebrated his debut by giving the Star a half-time lead.

Ryhope hit back with goals by Paul Braithwaite and Nathan O’Neil (pen) but following Chris Donnelly’s 75th-minute equaliser, Seaham claimed three crucial points when Adam Johnston hammered home a late penalty.

Chester-le-Street led Heaton Stannington courtesy of Joe Hamlin and Scott Heslop with only 11 minutes remaining but the Tynesiders then struck three times through Richard Hoggins, Lewis Burns and Paul Blackett.

Brandon United were again out of luck at Ryton and Crawcrook Albion for whom hat-trick hero Dan Robinson won the game with a 90th-minute winner.

Thomas Callaghan and Billy Snaith (pen) had raised Brandon’s hopes of a rare win.

In Division One, Bishop Auckland and Newcastle Benfield shared the points in an eight-goal thriller at Heritage Park. Sean Tarling, Glen Lane and John Butler, with a brace, netted for Bishops with Paul Brayson (2), Michael Hoganson and Lewis Scorgie replying.

There was a shock for leaders West Auckland Town when they were beaten by sixth-from-bottom Newton Aycliffe. Jordan Laidler, with a brace and Aaron Brown upset the form book.

Peter Watling (pen) and Hylton Laws eased Whitley Bay to victory over Bedlington Terriers who had taken the lead through Scott Blandford.

– Malcolm Pratt