Smith cracker inspires Silksworth

Have your say

SILKSWORTH Rangers, who have languished at the bottom of the Wearside League for most of the season, could yet avoid the wooden spoon.

Last night’s victory over Wolviston enabled them to close the gap on Annfield Plain to seven points, although the Derwent Park side has five games in hand.

The only goal came after 14 minutes when Dean Smith celebrated scoring his first goal for Rangers. He met a through ball from Dean Hannah and, seeing goalkeeper Daniel Jeffrey off his line, cleverly lobbed into the top corner of the net.

Annfield Plain conceded twice in the last seven minutes as they lost 2-1 to Darlington Cleveland Bridge.

Ross Nicholson was a first-half marksman for Plain, but Scott Holliday levelled on 83 minutes, and he again beat goalkeeper Grant Scott for a late winner.

Easington Colliery are third bottom after going down 3-0 to top-four side Jarrow.

Goalkeeper Aidan Jackson was sent off for handling outside the area early in the second half.

Outfield player Damien Potts took over and he was beaten three times in the space of 13 minutes by Ryan Burton, Grant Pressling and Brian Johnson.

Adam McQuillan netted for Sunderland West End in their 1-1 draw with Redcar Athletic.

Despite a gallant attempt, Ashbrooke Belford House failed to halt Willington’s title push at Hall Lane.

Chris Hardy drove in Willington’s 29th-minute opener, with James Seymour doubling the advantage on 48. Tommy Dobbing’s side fought well and were rewarded 12 minutes from time as Mark Green reduced the deficit.

Willington remain eight points ahead but are being strongly challenged by Richmond Town, who have three games in hand and a significantly better goal difference.

The Yorkshiremen made no mistake in a 4-1 win at Coxhoe Athletic, who replied just before the end when Adam Phillips was brought down and Stephen Parnaby converted the penalty.

Prudhoe Town have reached two cup finals, but their league form has been inconsistent and they are down to mid-table after losing 1-0 at Harton and Westoe CW, for whom Michael Pituck was hero and villain.

He scored the only goal with a superb volley, but, six minutes from time, was sent off.

Boldon CA succumbed 4-1 to visitors Seaton Carew, who were denied a second-minute lead when keeper Alan Greenan saved Craig Lines’ penalty.

Adam Bell hauled Boldon level at half-time, but the visitors eased home, and also hit the woodwork three times.

Liam Charlton and centre-back Andy Hebron, heading home a corner, earned Leam Rangers a 2-1 home win over Cleator Moor Celtic.