Six of the best as Easington hand out caning to Horden

Have your say

EASINGTON Colliery hit neighbours Horden CW for six to leap-frog their rivals and move out of the bottom six of the Wearside League.

With only one point separating the sides before kick-off, a close outcome was anticipated but Easington never looked back after taking a fifth-minute lead through Dale Spence, who fired home from the edge of the penalty area.

David Paul celebrated his debut by increasing the visitors’ lead, with a clinical finish and, before half-time, Farren Pope volleyed into the roof of the net and Brett Gillat made it four after being set up by Paul.

Early in the second period, Chris Tarn reduced the deficit, firing past debutant David Passmore when one-on-one with the goalkeeper but Easington roared back with the goal of the game from Pope, with a terrific header, and Paul.

Silksworth CW just edged Harton and Westoe CW by scoring twice in the opening 14 minutes.

A twice-taken free-kick by Rob Hall beat goalkeeper Stephen Peers before Willie Crew, playing his first game, struck from a rebound.

After half an hour though, it was again all to play for as Adam Shaw drove past Silksworth keeper Joe Clayton, who played on after sustaining a cut to his head in the 70th minute.

Ashbrooke Belford House stretched their unbeaten sequence by scoring twice in the last 10 minutes at Seaton Carew.

Twice in front courtesy of Stephen Callan and Ryan Veitch, the Wearsiders were pegged back by Craig Hutchinson and Terry Wilkinson.

With time running out, Stephen Bogie scored on the break and, in added time, Veitch curled a great effort into the top corner of the net.

Jarrow comfortably saw off Boldon CA in the South Tyneside derby at Perth Green.

Andy Wilkinson, with a brace and Brian Johnson had the hosts three goals to the good by the half hour mark and although Chris Hamblin cut the deficit on 52 minutes, Jarrow went nap through Dean Black and Nick Kane, who was sent off in the 83rd minute.

Leaders Ryhope CW and Stockton Town were on cup duty, giving the chasing clubs the chance to close in on the pair.

Ryhope remain out in front and Cleator Moor Celtic are now second after defeating third-bottom Leam Rangers by the odd goal in five.

Dale Bell was a second-minute scorer for the Tynesiders but the Cumbrians quickly gained the ascendancy with a hat-trick by Callum Birdsall.

With 19 minutes left on the clock, though, Leam were back in the game following Taylor Hughes’s excellent strike, but the Cumbrians held on for three important points.

Stockton Town slipped back to third and Redcar Athletic consolidated fourth place with victory at Annfield Plain, who led thanks to James Davis.

Lance Skelton restored parity and midway during the second period Jamie Lee struck the winning goal.

Despite twice leading through Sean Ross and Ash Turnbull, Hartlepool went down to Prudhoe Town who scored twice in the last couple of minutes.

Johnny Hewitson was their first marksman and when they were awarded an 88th-minute penalty, Paul Oxley fired past Pool goalkeeper Michael Campbell, who was beaten again by Oxley a minute later.

Sunderland West End crashed out of the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup, losing 5-0 at Stockton Town. who never looked back after making the breakthrough in the 13th minute.

Five players, Stephen Roberts, Matt Garbutt, Chris Stockton, Max Craggs and Carl McCabe, with a superb solo effort, all beat goalkeeper Lee Burrell.

The other semi-final tie, at Richmond Town, was abandoned after 78 minutes after Ryhope’s CW’s Ross Stead suffered a head injury.

The score was 1-1 with Philip Hall having cancelled out the opening goal by Richmond’s Scott Ryan. Following the injury to Stead, both teams agreed that the game should be called off and the referee readily agreed.

Coxhoe Athletic went down 3-2 at Gateshead Redheugh in their Durham FA Trophy quarter-final, while Wolviston succumbed to Durham Alliance League side Coundon and Leeholme, whose matchwinners were Paul Bailes and Mark Foster.