Silksworth’s surge nearly claims Bridge scalp in the Wearside League

Have your say

SILKSWORTH Rangers are hoping the tide has turned.

After winning for only the second time to move off the bottom of the table, they were within a minute of defeating fourth-top Darlington Cleveland Bridge on Saturday.

Paul Muir fired them in front with a 25-yard volley, but Rangers suffered a blow on 69 minutes with the dismissal of Anton Crann.

Even so, they matched their high-flying opponents until the 89th minute, when Jonathan Lake headed in the equaliser past Adam Don, who was outstanding in the Silksworth goal.

Ryhope CW, beaten in their previous game, were back on song at Jarrow where John Butler produced another scintillating performance.

He rifled four of his team’s five goals before Chris Metcalf also struck.

Anthony Myers and Mark Brocklehurst netted for Jarrow.

Ryhope are a point behind leaders Redcar Athletic with two games in hand. The Seasiders were held to a draw at Annfield Plain, who led courtesy of Richie Playforth until Kai Hewitson equalised 10 minutes from time.

Ashbrooke Belford House improved their position near the basement with an excellent performance at Hartlepool.

Michael Charlton, Dale Wells (pen) and Stephen Halliday earned them the points, with Kyle McDermott finding the net for Pools, who had goalkeeper Danny Sinclair red-carded in the second half.

Sunderland West End ran third-top Willington close before losing to a stoppage-time goal.

Danny Lee, with a brace and Michael Yorke were on target for Willington, with Anth Stubbs and Mark Coomber replying for West End.

Nathan Steel, with a hat-trick and Chris Burton found the net for Stockton Town when they shared the points in an eight-goal thriller with Cleator Moor Celtic, whose marksmen were Dean Rogers (2), Craig Padley and Michael Dickinson.

Peterlee Town progressed in the Sunderland Shipowners’ Cup, coming from behind to beat Wolviston.

Carl Boult was an early marksman and it was not until the 54th minute that Greg O’Brien levelled.

Robert Taylor then edged Peterlee in front, but it took a penalty save by Stephen Hubery from James Myers to keep the home side ahead. Victory was just about confirmed with Dean Fox’s late goal.

Coxhoe Athletic went out of the Durham Trophy on penalties to Gateshead Leam Rangers Reserves after the sides ended 1-1 following extra time.

Gateshead Leam Rangers firsts went through, however, defeating Darlington Rugby Club with strikes by Andrew Robson (2), Paul Oley and Stephen Wood.