Silksworth hit for six by Coxhoe

Have your say

SILKSWORTH Rangers must have hoped that their game at Coxhoe Athletic had also fallen foul to the weather.

Seven Wearside League fixtures were postponed but the Wearsiders travelled to Coxhoe with high hopes for a win which would have lifted them off the basement.

And at the end of the first 45 minutes, they were still optimistic that they could pull off what would have been only their third success in 16 attempts.

Coxhoe led with a Jonathan Hornsby header but Rangers had matched their hosts in a fairly evenly-contested first period. It was a completely different picture in the second half.

Stephen Francis doubled the deficit and from then on it was one-way traffic with Vinny Gash (2), John Davis and Stephen Francis adding to the woes of the visitors who had goalkeeper Adam Don to thank for avoiding an even heavier defeat.

The three leading sides all played and won. Willington extended their unbeaten record to 15 matches following an eight-goal thriller at Seaton Carew where fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the afternoon.

Daniel Lee was a third-minute marksman for the leaders but Seaton turned the tables with strikes from Johnny Payne and Peter Twidale.

It was Willington though who went in ahead at the break following two goals in five minutes from Jason White and Adam Pinkney.

Once again Seaton hit back for an equaliser by Craig Weatherill but Willington finished strongly, scoring twice late in the game courtesy of Adam Sakr and Jason White.

Willington are only a point in front of second-top Richmond Town who have played four games more than their rivals.

Boldon CA failed to halt the Yorkshiremen’s championship challenge and were well adrift by the halfway stage with Rory Atkinson, Ben Darville and Colin Anderson all beating goalkeeper Alan Greenan.

An own goal by Adam Taylor temporarily raised the hopes of the South Tynesiders but Richmond made it four in the closing stages as Darville was again on the mark.

Stockton Town stay third and were grateful to hear the final whistle against fifth-top Hartlepool after a tough battle.

The only goal came after 81 minutes when Tom Atkinson rounded goalkeeper Mark Bell and slotted the ball into an empty net.

Waterlogged grounds caused the postponement of fixtures at Annfield Plain, Ashbrooke Belford House, Gateshead Leam Rangers, Jarrow, Kirkbymoorside, Peterlee Town and Wolviston.

Peterlee’s game with Cleator Moor Celtic has been quickly rearranged for Wednesday when in the only other fixture, Silksworth Rangers meet Stockton Town.