Silksworth go nap

Have your say

Wearside League

by Malcolm Pratt

THERE were only four games in the Wearside League on Saturday but they produced no fewer than 24 goals.

Silksworth CW, who netted six times in their opening fixture, went nap against Boldon CA on South Tyneside.

Rob Hall broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when he beat goalkeeper Chris Smith from the spot and before the interval, Liam Gill doubled the lead.

There was no stopping the Colliers in the second half either and a comprehensive victory was secured with further strikes from Andrew Place with a brace, and Gill.

The lowest scoring game was that between Ashbrooke Belford House and Gateshead Leam Rangers, which ended with honours even.

David Christie fired the Wearsiders into the lead and right on the stroke of half time George Hall beat debutant goalkeeper Kevin McCluskey for the equaliser.

David Stevens was on target for Ashbrooke’s second goal but just before the end George Hornsby levelled.

Hapless Jarrow were on the receiving end of an eight-goals rout by Seaton Carew for whom Craig Hutchinson and Joe Osborne scored hat-tricks. Luke Naylor and Andrew Ross added to the woes of Jarrow, whose only reply came from David Graham.

The South Tynesiders have lost their opening three games conceding 16 goals in the process.

Whitehaven are taking the league by storm as they attempt to make an immediate return to the Ebac Northern League.

They hit Wolviston for six, courtesy of Greg Quayle (2), Kevin Connolly (2), Kevin Law and Barry Armfield. The Cumbrians, with three wins under their belt, have notched 16 goals and conceded just once.

Easington Colliery made it three wins out of three to progress in the Sunderland Shipowners’ Cup with victory over Hartlepool who were first to score through Scott Stephenson after just a couple of minutes.

It took the Colliers 45 minutes for David Paul to level but from then on they were in charge.

Luke Page fired them in front and in the last 12 minutes, their passage into the next round was secured with goals by Liam Beeston and David Paul.

Sunderland West End eased home against Harton and Westoe. David Keighley drove into the net on the half an hour and after the visitors had missed a penalty, Barry Turton struck the second crucial goal.

Horden CW went out to Cleator Moor Celtic in Cumbria. Craig Scott’s header was followed by Adam Megan’s goal just before the interval and although Chris Freeman threw the Colliers a lifeline with his 70th-minute effort, Horden were unable to produce an equaliser.

Coxhoe Athletic racked up back-to-back wins – which is a rarity after they struggled for most of last season.

Their latest success came at the hands of Prudhoe Town when Reece Brown and Flynn Linklater-Johnson had them two goals up inside 38 minutes.

The South Tynesiders were back in the tie thanks to Tom Skidmore’s strike on 40 minutes but Coxhoe just about made the game safe with two goals in 16 minutes from Ross Morrow and Rhys Guy.

There was still time for Connor Powell to reduce Prudhoe’s deficit but Coxhoe were never troubled in the last 15 minutes, holding onto a two-goals advantage.

Stockton Town didn’t have things all their own way against Annfield Plain and the margin of victory was much smaller than anticipated considering the Teessiders had scored 14 goals in their first two games.

They managed only two against a stoic Plain defence with Tom Coulthard delivering a 25-yard free kick and Tony Johnson heading into the net.

Redcar Athletic had no trouble seeing off Richmond Town with goals by Michael Woodhouse (2), Adam Preston and Liam Wood.