Second-half burst seals solid win for RCA

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA moved out of the bottom six in the Ebac Northern League First Division with a comprehensive 3-0 victory over fourth-from-basement Team Northumbria at Meadow Park last night.

The Wearsiders failed to turn their first-half supremacy into account but once they got their noses in front, there was no stopping David Lee’s side.

After 53 minutes, Kyle Fryett cut inside and sent a reverse pass to Kyle Morris, who slotted the ball wide of goalkeeper Andrew Jennison.

Seven minutes later, Nathan Wilson delivered a good corner which was headed home by Daniel Wray.

RCA had chances to increase a two-goal lead but it wasn’t until the last minute that Callum Patton set up Josh Home Jackson and his curling strike gave Jennison no chance.

Durham City took high-fliers Celtic Nation to the wire before going down to an only goal at New Ferens Park.

Colin McMenamin was clean through on goal after 18 minutes but the Citizens breathed a sigh of relief as his shot hit the post.

At the other end, Celtic goalkeeper Aaron Taylor made a superb save to deny Joe Hughes and shortly afterwards the Cumbrians were awarded a penalty which McMenamin fired past goalkeeper James Winter.

Winter then denied Jonathan Allen with a point-blank save and for a time Celtic were in control but late in the game Mattie Scott was three times close to an equaliser.

Billingham Town claimed their first points of the season when they defeated Hebburn Town. Karl Charlton fired Town in front and after Jack Stanger levelled, James McLeod hit the winner. The Teessiders leap-frogged Hebburn Town, who are now at the bottom.

Ashington conceded an added-time winner to Billingham Synthonia, who went behind as David Carson struck at the far post.

Chris Hughes levelled with a fabulous goal and in the 93rd minute Matthew Osmond headed in the winner.

In Division Two, Jarrow Roofing furthered their promotion prospects by defeating Brandon United with goals by Gilberto Chapim and Stephen Young.

A brace of goals by Stephen Aiston earned Whickham a point at Tow Law Town, whose marksmen were Dean Thexton and Simon Ord.

H Crook Town expect their biggest gate of the season tonight when they meet North Shields in the FA Carlsberg Vase, First Round replay.

The Millfield men were within a minute of winning Saturday’s tie at the first attempt and start favourites to win and take on Dunston UTS in an all-Ebac Northern League Second Round contest.

Shildon have the chance to return to the top of the table when they have home advantage over Whitley Bay, who uncharacteristically are in the bottom half of the table having lost 10 times in 15 matches.

Following last night’s results, Dunston UTS will aim to consolidate fifth place against Consett while all eyes will again be on in-form side Newcastle Benfield.

The Tynesiders have surged up the table on the back of some excellent results following a disappointing start to the season when they took just two points from their first six games.

Penrith are tonight’s visitors to the Sam Smiths ground.

In Division Two South Shields, who were relegated last season, are sixth from bottom ahead of their game at Norton and Stockton Ancients.

The Teessiders are also gunning for an immediate return to the top flight but unlike the Mariners, are seventh, only three points outside the last promotion place.

Leaders Heaton Stannington should strengthen their position at the expense of second-bottom Esh Winning ,who have taken just 10 points out of a possible 48.