Seaham Red Star on song

Have your say

SEAHAM Red Star moved into third position in the Second Division of the Ebac Northern League when they hit Alnwick Town for six on Saturday.

Tommy English was an early marksman but Stephen Hogg quickly levelled.

Adam Johnson converted a penalty and Red Star opened up a two-goal lead courtesy of Shaun Reay.

Alnwick again hit back and Hogg reduced the deficit to a single goal but Seaham finished strongly with English and Shannon North (2) taking their team’s total to six.

They have now scored 31 times in nine games, a figure bettered only by second-placed North Shields who are two points ahead of Mark Collingwood’s side.

Heaton Stannington are the new leaders following victory at Northallerton Town who suffered a 13th-minute blow when Nathan Brazauskas was sent off for a handling offence and Jonathan Wright converted the resultant penalty.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, the home side levelled with a Grant Hickman header and although Wright scored again for the Tynesiders, they had to work hard against 10-man Northallerton.

Chester-le-Street gained a welcome win at home to Thornaby and moved out of the bottom six. John Honour fired through a crowded goalmouth on 71 minutes and six minutes into the second half he produced another excellent effort from the edge of the penalty area.

Andrew Grant Soulsby then just about secured all three points for the Cestrians with his 63rd-minute header.

Tow Law Town conceded an 85th-minute winner to Norton and Stockton Ancients’ Gary Mitchell. Stephen Turnbull had given the Lawyers the advantage before Rocky Andrews restored parity from the penalty spot.

In Division One Celtic Nation have a three-point lead at the top of the table over Shildon. Colin McMenamin netted twice in the opening 23 minutes at home to Newton Aycliffe and the ambitious Cumbrians made certain of all three points with Stephen Skinner’s late strike.

Spennymoor Town are up to fourth following a strong second-half performance at home to Dunston UTS. Anthony Peacock opened up the opportunity for Joe Walton to drive the ball into the net from 12 yards on 49 minutes and four minutes later UTS faced a formidable challenge when Peacock was again the provider, this time for Liam Henderson who volleyed the ball past UTS goalkeeper Liam Connell.

Ashington moved up to fifth when they defeated Whitley Bay who uncharacteristically have lost seven of their first 10 games. David Carson and Glen Taylor were on target for the Colliers before Paul Chow converted a penalty for the Seahorses.

Second-top Shildon shared the points in the local derby at unbeaten West Auckland Town. Paul Connor opened for Shildon and when Callum Patton was brought down, John Campbell levelled from the penalty spot.