Seaham Red Star hit Whitley Bay for six

Have your say

Ebac Northern League by Malcolm Pratt

SEAHAM Red Star, who have won their last 11 Ebac Northern League Second Division games, reserved their best performance for last night’s Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup Second Round tie against Whitley Bay.

Mark Collingwood’s side hit their First Division opponents for six with a display of exciting football, and there was little the visitors could do to stem the flow of goals.

Josh Home Jackson opened the scoring on 35 minutes and although Michael Laws levelled in the 45th minute, Red Star were rampant during the second period.

Jackson completed a hat-trick with Lewis Wing, Liam McBryde and Sonny Andrews taking their side’s total to six before Paul Chow claimed a second consolation goal in added time.

Washington also upset the form book, defeating Jarrow Roofing – but it was an extremely close call.

Daniel Iredale and Chris Winn fired the Mechanics into a two-goal interval lead, but after Wayne Phillips reduced the deficit on 55 minutes, an own goal by Aaron Croft in the 89th minute looked like taking the tie into extra time.

But in a dramatic finale Winn broke into the box and his finish past Roofing goalkeeper Andrew Hunter, sent home supporters delirious.

Sunderland RCA bowed out to Dunston UTS who had goalkeeper Andrew Clark to thank.

He made several excellent saves before the Wearsiders conceded twice in the last 14 minutes to Gary Ormston and Andy Bulford.

Ryhope CW suffered a huge blow in the 15th minute of their tie at home to Consett.

At this stage, they were level with David Pounder having given them the lead before Aristote Guerin Lakonga restored parity.

The turning point came when Ryhope goalkeeper Barry Poskett was sent off for handling outside the box.

Manager Gary Pearson, an outfield player, took over and he was beaten in quick succession by Michael Mackay (2) and Josh Grey (2).

Just before the end, Martin Metcalfe claimed a second goal for the home side.

Last week, Bishop Auckland hammered neighbours Crook Town 6-0, but they only just won by the odd goal in five when the sides again met at Heritage Park.

James Paylor drove in for Crook’s 17th-minute opener and after Andy Johnson equalised five minutes into the second half, Bishops looked to have the tie won when Kyle Davis and an own goal from Paylor had them two goals up.

But Crook, who looked a much better side than they did in the previous game, were thrown a lifeline by John Alexander in the 86th minute. Bishops though held on to book their place in round three.

Captain Danny Moore, with a brace, Adam Rundle and Ben Wood swept Shildon to victory at Tow Law Town and Ashington were also in scoring mode against Thornaby.

The goals rained in from Tony Stephenson (2), Kyle Oliver (2), Glen Taylor, Phil Airey and Andrew Johnson as the Colliers romped to a 7-0 win.

Hebburn Town took the lead through Josh Allen after just three minutes, but went out in extra time at Newton Aycliffe whose matchwinners were Mark Stephenson, Martin Young and Jack Oliver.