Seaham Red Star are on the up after edging out Jarrow

Have your say

SEAHAM Red Star reached the dizzy heights of fifth-top in Ebac Northern League Second Division following last night’s thrilling 2-1 victory over Jarrow Roofing.

There were chances for both teams before Mark Collingwood’s side broke the deadlock after half an hour.

A strong effort from Craig Malley was parried by Roofing goalkeeper Jonathan Carmichael but only into the path of Channon North, who headed home.

Right on the stroke of half time Red Star scored the second crucial goal as a long free kick was cleared out to Chris Scott, and he drove into the net from fully 20 yards.

Early in the second period the South Tynesiders hit back with Paul Robertson’s 12-yard strike giving goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook little chance.

Jarrow mounted a series of raids searching for an equaliser but Red Star’s defence remained solid.

Chester-le-Street jumped into ninth place with victory at Thornaby who were first to score through David Howe.

Within six minutes the Cestrians were level with an easy tap-in from Mark Nixon but it wasn’t until the last seven minutes that they sealed victory.

Rhys Weir was on hand to strike from close-range after the ball came back off the crossbar and when Nixon was brought down, he converted the penalty.

In Division One, Durham City’s new manager Adam Furness watched his side share eight goals with Penrith at New Ferens Park.

Gary Shaw slotted the ball past Jonny Jameson for an early City goal but the Cumbrians turned the tables with two goals from Steven Ainsworth, one from the penalty spot.

Just before the interval, Connor Winter levelled after being set up by Nicholas Allen only for the Cumbrians to regain through Martyn Coleman.

It was 3-3 on 64 minutes when Dan Madden fired home from the spot after Craig Ellison had been up-ended and with 13 minutes remaining, Winter rounded the keeper for his second goal of the night.

But with only seven minutes left on the clock Penrith claimed a deserved equaliser with Grant Davidson heading past goalkeeper Lewis Graham when unchallenged.

Bishop Auckland, who started the night in fourth position, suffered a surprisingly heavy defeat in the local derby at West Auckland.

In a goalless opening half, Bishops lost goalkeeper Peter Jeffries with a broken arm and he was replaced by Stephen West.

From early in the second period the goals flowed with Adam Rundle, John Campbell and Mattie Moffat establishing a three-goals lead.

Bishops suffered another blow when Stephen Ord was dismissed but they still managed to reduce the deficit courtesy of Chris Lawson.

West though made the numerical advantage count, scoring twice in the last seven minutes through Chris Carr and Stuart Banks.

Whitley Bay made an indifferent start to the season, but have come good. They stretched an unbeaten run to six games when they completely outplayed Marske United during the opening 45 minutes.

Paul Chow rifled a hat-trick and young Andy Robertson, playing only his second game, added his name to the score sheet with a fine individual effort.

Dunston UTS were twice ahead thanks to Danny Craggs, but on each occasion were pegged back by Ashington, with Andrew Johnson and Paul Antony scoring.