Seaham hoping Jarrow falter

Have your say

Ebac Northern League

By Malcolm Pratt

SEAHAM Red Star completed the season sharing the points with Washington at the Nissan sports complex and can now only hope that Jarrow Roofing fail in their last two games.

Mark Collingwood’s side is two points ahead of their rivals, who play at Whitehaven on Wednesday and at Willington on Saturday.

James Fairley gave the Newtowners a half-time advantage, beating goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook following good work by David Southern.

Washington though suffered a setback after 55 minutes when Michael Coghlan was sent off and almost immediately Dean Nicholson levelled from a free-kick.

Red Star were unable to make the numerical advantage count and face an anxious wait to see whether they will be pipped at the post for the last promotion place.

Jarrow Roofing, who missed out by a whisker last season, are now in the driving seat following victory over Heaton Stannington.

The only goal came after 13 minutes when Paul Gardiner wriggled free on the edge of the penalty area and Andy Appleby clipped the ball past Heaton goalkeeper Shaun Backhouse.

A crowd of 329 watched the evening kick-off between Birtley Town and neighbours Chester-le-Street.

Damon Reaks fired Birtley into a halftime lead and after Robbie Draper levelled, two late goals from Matthew Lowery and Cameron Nichol earned Birtley the points.

Keiran Hogg was named captain for his 100th Alnwick Town appearance but it was Whitehaven who celebrated with strikes by Greg Quayle and Matthew Timms (pen).

In Division One, Bedlington Terriers have given themselves a great chance of avoiding the drop after defeating Newton Aycliffe who were first to score courtesy of Tom Atkinson.

Sam Walton levelled before the interval and on 86 minutes he fired in the winner to earn his side three crucial points.

With Billingham Town and Hebburn Town already down, Bedlington are now six points ahead of Team Northumbria who must win their last two games if they are to have any chance of staying up.

Bishop Auckland were involved in a goalless draw at Morpeth Town where scoring opportunities were few and far between.

Stephen Anderson twice went close for the Northumbrians but in the 85th minute only a splendid save by Stephen Mundy denied Bishop’s Keiran Megran a winning goal.

FA Carlsberg Vase finalists West Auckland Town had much the better of the opening half at Dunston UTS and led with a Dennis Knight header but the Tynesiders came more into the picture and deservedly equalised through Lee McAndrew.

Penrith were twice in front at home to Marske United but had to settle for a point.

Martyn Coleman was an early marksman and after Austin Johnston levelled, Coleman was again on target. With only three minutes left on the clock Jamie Clarke equalised, scoring with a free kick from 25 yards.