Ryhope’s rampage leaves Silksworth breathless

Have your say

RYHOPE CW moved back to the top of the Wearside League after an emphatic win over neighbours Silksworth Rangers.

Paul Taylor fired past Adam Don on 15 minutes and Rangers faced a formidable challenge when Phil Hall doubled the lead with a header.

After an hour Taylor struck for a second time and just before the end John Harrison completed the scoring.

Because of a heavy cup programme, only three league games were played.

Willington missed the chance to go second when they lost a seven-goal thriller at Stockton Town, whose marksmen were Nathan Steel, David Johnson, Tony Johnson and Scott Meehan with an 88th-minute winner.

Paul Bailes (pen), Michael Weston and Michael Yorke replied for Willington, who remain third, a point behind Redcar Athletic.

Early goals from Scott Wallace and Andrew Bruce set up Annfield Plain for a victory at Kirkbymoorside, who cut the deficit with an Alex Strickland close-range effort. Before the interval, Matthew Wilson was on target with Plain’s third goal.

In the Wearside League Cup, Boldon CA were left shell-shocked by Cleator Moor Celtic.

At the halfway stage the South Tynesiders appeared to be coasting through goals from Michael Reay (2) and Michael Meek.

Celtic had hardly threatened, but in a remarkable transformation, they routed Boldon with eight second-half strikes from Ryan Hall (4), Dion Barnes, Craig Padley, Gary George and Glynn Edwards.

Despite scoring first through Dale Wells, Ashbrooke Belford House went out to Peterlee Town, whose matchwinners were Darren Major, Peter Crawford (pen) and Robert Huntley.

Prudhoe Town also enjoyed an interval lead thanks to Scott Ormston, but it was Darlington Cleveland Bridge who reached round two courtesy of Brendan Lalley and David Vayro.

Gateshead Leam Rangers’ Matthew Telford and Leon Kane conceded own goals in a 3-1 defeat at Hartlepool Town in the Durham Trophy.

Carl Winspear was Pool’s other marksman, with Robert Allen finding the net for the Tynesiders.

Jarrow couldn’t match 10-man Norton and Stockton Ancients in the Durham Challenge Cup.

Nathan Mulligan converted a penalty and after Grant Pressling equalised for Jarrow, Norton had Dale Mulligan sent off just before the interval.

Despite their numerical disadvantage, Norton progressed with goals from Garry Barnes and David Alderson.