Ryhope CW’s cup run ended by Seaton Carew

Have your say

RYHOPE CW were hot favourites to reach the second round of the Durham Challenge Cup, but Seaton Carew produced a big shock on Wearside.

The night didn’t start too well for Martin Swales’ side with Lee Jones giving the Seasiders an early lead.

Worse was to follow with John Butler’s 35th-minute spot-kick saved and half an hour later, goalkeeper Lenny French was red-carded. From the penalty, Stuart Dixon doubled the lead as he gave stand-in goalkeeper James Dunn no chance.

With a couple of minutes remaining Nathan Johnson threw the home side a late lifeline, scoring from a free kick, but Seaton held on to win 2-1.

Sunderland West End almost upset the form book at Consett who had to survive late pressure before winning by the odd goal in three.

David Scorer headed in a corner after just five minutes and it didn’t look too good for West End as Jack Stanger added a second goal on the half-hour mark.

Early in the second period Warren Cassop scored the best goal of the three, volleying into the net past goalkeeper Peter Jameson but despite enjoying a fair share of possession, West End were unable to produce an equaliser.

Sunderland RCA defeated Billingham Town in a five-goal extra-time thriller on Teesside.

Harrison Davies fired the home team in front but the Wearsiders then roared into a 4-1 lead courtesy of John Parker, Aristote Guerin Lokonga, Josh Home Jackson and Jordan Marshall.

Gavin Barton then failed with a penalty for RCA and Billingham rallied with Davies, a former Meadow Park player, completing his hat-trick before Glen Butterworth levelled at 4-4 on 85 minutes.

In the 115th minute Marshall celebrated making his debut, scoring the winning goal.

Chester le Street twice restored parity in their tie with Hebburn Town whose marksmen were Tony Stephenson and Daniel Kirkup. Lewis Lynch and Michael Pattison replied and with extra time looming, it was Chris Jewels who came up trumps for Hebburn as he fired in an 88th-minute winner.

Birtley Town handed debuts to 17-year olds Callum Telfer, Liam Radbourne and Callum Smith at West Auckland Town who needed a penalty shoot-out before going through.

The visitors were very much the under-dogs but they kept their goal intact until the 55th minute when two goals in four minutes from Elliott Gardner and John Campbell had them chasing the tie.

Daniel Smith reduced the arrears and on 88 minutes Telfer celebrated with an equalising goal.

It appeared though that West would go through when Gardner volleyed home on 89 minutes but deep into added time, Matthew Hornsby equalised from the spot.

There were no further goals in extra time and West won the penalty shoot-out 5-4 but Birtley would still take enormous credit from the performance.

Dunston UTS eased past Whickham at The Glebe where Lewis Teasdale scored both goals in the opening half. The home side’s best chance came when Keith Foster went close with a free kick.

Wearside League leaders Willington led Gateshead Reserves for over an hour with Danny Lee’s second-minute strike. Peter Ravenhill restored parity and late in the game he claimed the winner for the Tynesiders.