Ryhope and Redcar continue their duel for title

Have your say

IT remains tight at the top of the Wearside League, with just one point separating Ryhope CW and Redcar Athletic.

The Wearsiders, who in their previous game racked up 10 goals, coasted to victory at Kirkbymoorside and Redcar also enjoyed a comfortable win at home to Ashbrooke Belford House.

Nathan O’Neil headed Ryhope in front on 26 minutes before two goals from John Butler in the five minutes immediately before the interval put his side firmly in the driving seat.

The home side had to substitute goalkeeper Tim Hodgson at half-time and his replacement Jordan Rivis kept a clean sheet.

So too did Redcar Athletic’s Shaun Taylor, but his opposite number Brett Wilson was beaten twice as Ashbrooke Belford House went down at the seaside.

After 16 minutes, Andy Porritt floated in a free kick and Lewis Wood rose unchallenged to head home.

Two minutes from time Billy Millington slotted past Wilson to end any hopes the Wearsiders harboured of saving the game.

Peterlee Town produced one of the best performances of the day when they defeated Cleator Moor Celtic.

The Cumbrians have been in good form, but met their match as the Newtowners won with strikes from Andrew Morris and Peter Crawford.

Silksworth Rangers remain second-bottom, but are now just a point behind Kirkbymoorside after they claimed all three points against Boldon CA.

Just before the interval John Turvey curled a shot into the top corner of the net for a fine individual goal.

Rangers’ 19-year old goalkeeper Adam Don kept his side in front with three outstanding second-half saves.

Coxhoe Athletic stay bottom, seven points adrift of Silksworth.

Billy Snaith and Andrew Blackburn earned them a point at home to Wolviston for whom Carl Barry bagged a brace.

Jarrow’s hopes of finishing third receded when they went down to Stockton Town. A long-range effort by Tom Hinchley 12 minutes from time was all that separated the pair.

Stockton are now third and Willington fourth after they easily defeated Annfield Plain at Hall Lane.

Chris Hardy (2), Dean Hanson and Michael Weston fired the home side into a four-goal lead before Matthew Wilson claimed a consolation for the visitors.

A goal by Michael Lee after 11 minutes proved sufficient for Hartlepool at Gateshead Leam Rangers, while despite leading twice, Prudhoe Town could only share the spoils with Darlington Cleveland Bridge.

Chris Winn and Nathan Burrell netted for the home side, with Dale Sheridan and Phil Caley responding for the Bridge.