Red Star continue their unbeaten run

Have your say

SEAHAM Red Star stretched an impressive unbeaten sequence in Division Two with a 1-1 draw with Northallerton Town, who are also in the top six.

Colin Anderson slotted past goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook before Chris McCabe headed in the equaliser for Red Star, who are third-top, five points behind the leaders.

North Shields have a one-point lead at the top after they completed the double over Esh Winning. Recently, the Robins won 5-0 and in the return fixture at Waterhouses they went one better thanks to Gareth Bainbridge with a hat-trick, Dean Holmes (2) and Adam Scope.

Heaton Stannington remain second following victory by the odd goal at home to Jarrow Roofing who went in front through Stephen Young.

The Tynesiders then plundered four goals courtesy of Brian Dodsworth (2), Phil Smith and Lee Johnson before Roofing narrowed the deficit to a single goal with two strikes by Anthony Myers.

West Allotment Celtic consolidated fourth place but for the second time in a couple of weeks they were held to a draw by Chester le Street, who were within a minute of winning all three points.

Michael Bell headed in for Celtic during the opening half and the Cestrians then went in front through Michael Hepplewhite and a Paul Stoneman own goal. Stoneman atoned when he equalised in the last minute.

Fifth-placed Norton and Stockton Ancients went nap at home to basement side Ryton and Crawcrook Albion. Gary Mitchell rifled a hat-trick with Nick Martin and Liam Woodhouse also on target.

Washington have set themselves up nicely for tomorrow’s Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup tie against Whitley Bay at the Nissan Sports complex.

The Newtowners are now sixth from the basement after defeating 10-man Thornaby with strikes by David Southern (2) and James Fairley (2).

After conceding three times, a Michael Gouglan own goal threw Thornaby a lifeline but the home side then had Ricky Phillips dismissed. Even so they cut the deficit to a single goal thanks to David Onions but pressure on the Newtowners was relieved as Fairley scored his second goal.

Birtley Town erased a two-goal lead built up by Robbie Hurton and Dean Sexton to defeat Tow Law Town with a hat-trick by Callum Hope.

South Shields shared the points with Whickham for whom John Martin cancelled out Craig Watson’s penalty while Willington are now ninth from top after defeating Brandon United with goals by Adam Pinkney and Chris Hardy.

Despite having Jake Nicholson sent off on 59 minutes, Brandon were in with a chance when Keiran Weeks reduced the deficit.