RCA suffer late agony

Have your say

DESPITE making a dream start by scoring after only three minutes, Sunderland RCA went down when they conceded a late winner to Penrith in last night’s EBAC Northern League First Division game.

Jordan Dixon caught Penrith goalkeeper Johnny Jamieson off his line and produced a good finish but within seven minutes the home side were level from a set-piece as John Jardine stabbed the ball into the net past keeper Craig Shields.

Jamieson had to be replaced at half time by Lewis Brass but the Wearsiders failed to beat the substitute keeper and it was Shields who picked the ball out of the net on 88 minutes.

A corner found Kevin Connolly and he kept his cool when under pressure to fire into the net from close range.

The two bottom sides both lost leaving Norton and Stockton Ancients and South Shields with a mountain to climb if they are to avoid the drop.

Norton shocked second-top West Auckland Town when they went two goals up inside 15 minutes after two goals from Callum Brown.

The Teessiders held onto a two-goal cushion until the 53rd minute, but when John Campbell drove in from 15 yards after being set up by Mattie Moffat, the course of the game changed dramatically.

From then on, West dominated. Moffat charged down a clearance and set up Dan Hindmarsh for the equaliser and eight minutes later Hindmarsh fired West in front.

In stoppage time, Moffat made it four when he scored a deserved goal.

South Shields are second bottom and although three points ahead of Norton, are now 18 points behind Newton Aycliffe, who are just above the relegation zone.

The Mariners went ahead in the 65th minute when Denver Morris crossed and Stephen Ramsey headed into the net.

The home side’s joy though lasted only nine minutes before Michael Mackay fired past keeper James Winter from close range and four minutes from the end Luke Sullivan grabbed the winner.

Dunston UTS coasted to a 4-0 victory against Guisborough Town. Lewis Teesdale crashed the ball into the net after just a couple of minutes but UTS were denied further goals in the opening half by the outstanding Daniel Dixon.

The goalkeeper, however, was powerless in preventing Ben Cattanach smashing home a 58th-minute penalty. Teesdale then completed his hat-trick scoring twice in the space of six minutes.

Hebburn Town’s poor form continued. A 5-2 defeat by Ashington was their 11th in 12 games but at one stage they were on course to take something from the game.

Andrew Johnson and Marc Walton had the Colliers two goals up inside 32 minutes but by the hour mark the South Tynesiders were level with a brace from Paul Gardner.

Ashington regrouped and went nap courtesy of Marc O’Dea, Glen Taylor and Walton before Stuart Nicholson fired home a late penalty for Hebburn who are now down to 15th.

In Division Two, West Allotment Celtic maintained their climb when goals by David Dormand, Chris Douglas and Shaun Reid had them totally in control at Whickham before Ian Robson struck a late consolation.