Rampant Ryhope

Have your say

A STUNNING victory over Cleator Moor Celtic in Cumbria last night propelled Ryhope CW to the top of the Wearside League last night.

And neighbours Ashbrooke Belford House were also among the goals as they hit Seaton Carew for six.

Third-placed Cleator Moor, who had conceded only 15 goals in their first 16 games, were swept aside by an exhilarating first-half performance by Garry Errington’s side.

After 19 minutes, Glyn Edwards’ attempted back pass to goalkeeper Craig Devine was intercepted by Chris Winn, who fired into an empty net.

Jack Pounder headed in a superb cross from Michael Charlton to double the lead on 38 minutes and four minutes later another defensive blunder enabled Charlton to make it three.

Devine threw the ball to Rhys Little, who slipped and Charlton reacted quickly, giving the keeper no chance.

There was a temporary spell of pressure, immediately before the interval and early in the second half, when the Cumbrians threatened.

Ryan Hall’s 44th-minute free-kick flew past goalkeeper Neil Bussey and the margin was reduced to a single goal as Craig Scott headed home an Edwards corner.

Ryhope, though, quickly regained the ascendancy and any nerves they had vanquished when Pounder headed wide of Devine, who was then beaten for a fifth time as Winn fired in a cracking shot.

The match was played in dreadful conditions.

The weather had been fine until 4pm but heavy rain and a gale-force wind made it extremely difficult for the players.

Ashbrooke Belford House were rampant against Seaton Carew at Silksworth.

Stephen Callan bagged a brace in the opening 20 minutes, but, five minutes before half-time, Craig Garthwaite threw Seaton a glimmer of hope.

But it was all Ashbrooke in the second period.

Nathan Burrell added a third goal and Callan completed his hat-trick before Stephen Bogie bagged a three-minute double to seal a 6-1 trouncing.

Fortunes ebbed and flowed when Easington Colliery shared the points at Prudhoe Town in a 3-3 draw.

Prudhoe led from the fifth minute courtesy of Stephen Foster.

Jordan Thompson and Bryan Norton rallied the Colliers, but Kai Hewitson levelled at 2-2 before Prudhoe went ahead again, through Mattie Soulsby.

Easington, though, deservedly rescued a point on 88 minutes when they were awarded a penalty and Luke Page clinically drove into the net past goalkeeper Shaun Sagar.