Peterlee Sunday League: Price is right as Hetton outfox New Hesledon

Dawdon Welfare Park in action against South Bank in the first round of the FA Sunday Cup
Dawdon Welfare Park in action against South Bank in the first round of the FA Sunday Cup
Have your say

Hetton Fox and Hounds progressed to the last four in the Second Division Cup, seeing off Murton New Hesledon 5-3 in an entertaining tie.

Liam Appleby, Michael Walton and substitute Ian Craggs struck in vain for Hesledon as four-goal Matthew Price stole the show with a man-of-the-match display for the hosts.

Liam Branney also struck for Hetton. Keeper Andrew Naylor was Murton’s star man.

Seaham The George squeezed past Peterlee Helford United 4-3 on penalties to reach the Premier Division Cup semi-finals, following a 2-2 extra-time draw.

In normal time, star man Thomas Hobkirk’s double for George was cancelled out by Stephen Hockaday’s brace. Jonathan Payne was Helford’s man of the match.

In the First Division League Cup, Easington Welfare, thanks to goals from Jay Jobson and Ian Dunn, edged a close-fought quarter-final 2-1 against Trimdon Colliery Royal Albion.

Aaron Brown bagged Albion’s reply, with Graeme Blakey their man of the match.

Carl Thomas (2) and Ryan Martin steered Murton Park View into the last eight of the Tommy Burrell Memorial Cup, when they proved too strong for Easington CIU.

Graham Hornsby replied for CIU, whose star man was Alan Cossey. Keeper Aiden Vout shone for Park View.

John Purvis was on target for Easington Lane WMC in their 2-1 defeat to Newton Aycliffe Navy Club in the Bishop Auckland Heart Foundation Cup. Matty Weirs was Lane’s top man.

Waterlogged pitches forced a string of postponements, so only three league games got the go-ahead.

In the only Premier Division match, Horden CW Supporters Club moved joint top of the table, only behind Dawdon Welfare Park on goal difference, after cruising to a 3-0 success at Thornley Harrys Bar.

Two goals from substitute Jack Pounder and an effort from Scott Davidson did the damage, with John Bowes man of the match.

The Thornley side, who had Barry Frost sent off and Gary O’Neil their star performer, are finding it difficult to make an impact in the top flight, having gained promotion from Division One last season.

Wingate Plough Inn maintained their 100 per cent Second Division record by beating leaders NSCC 4-2 in the match of the day.

Nathan Grainger’s double led the way, backed by strikes from Dean Fox and Joe Coulson. Jonathan Roberts and Lee Elliott notched for the New Seaham side, whose star man was Lee Chapman.

Seaham Marlborough shared the goals around as they outgunned mid-table Haswell Oddfellows Arms 6-1.

Star man Andy Johnston, Kyle Milner, Chris Dormand, Chris Blaney, Connor Paterson and sub Adam Hepple all struck for Marlborough, who are now up to second place.

Luke Reed hit Oddfellows’ goal, with Carl Stephenson the visitors’ man of the match.

Dawdon Welfare Park’s FA Sunday Cup adventure ended in cruel fashion when they lost their second round tie 2-1 away to Liverpool side Campfield.

Kyle Bell gave Dawdon the breakthrough, but the Merseysiders equalised and then converted a last-minute penalty to send the Green Drive braves out of the competition.