Over-40s League: Willow Pond blown away by a real Rolls-Royce performance

Ryhope Foresters (yellow) take on Wearmouth CW in last week's Premier Division derby
Ryhope Foresters (yellow) take on Wearmouth CW in last week's Premier Division derby
Have your say

Rolls-Royce climbed to sixth place in Division Two on the back of a fine 4-1 derby triumph at Willow Pond.

Rolls started strongly and were two goals up within 10 minutes.

The first was a free header by David White after Wayne Browell’s corner was not dealt with. Then an excellent passing move ended with a clinical finish from Browell.

New Willow keeper Matt Gartland was left rooted to the spot.

Willow rallied and got back into the game after John Forster beat the defence to cross for David Kelly, whose volley gave Rolls’ keeper no chance.

But the joy was shortlived and Rolls made it three as Norman Younger floated the ball in and Gary Anderson made no mistake.

It was 4-1 before the break when another Rolls corner again wasn’t defended well and White unselfishly squared the ball to Andy Laidler to score.

Willow made changes after the break and were more solid and created the better chances, but the damage done in the first half was a mountain to high to climb to get anything from the game.

Washington JFC Biddick Inn did well to edge home 2-1 at Durham County Strollers.

Oddies remain at the bottom on just one point from five games after a fighting performance in a 5-3 reverse at Stanley, while Wingate Cons are two points better off despite losing 4-3 at leaders Newcastle East End.

Houghton Cricket Club slipped to fourth-bottom spot following a 3-2 loss to Hedworthfield Red Hackle.

Ivy Legends continued their merry way at the top of Division Four with a fifth successive win. Legends had to work hard, though, as previously unbeaten Sedgefield pushed them all the way before going down 4-3.

Roseberry Grange also made it five wins from five with a 5-3 success at bottom club Durham County. Boldon Colliery Tavern have a perfect record from four matches after a 3-0 victory at Hartlepool Jacksons Arms.

Colonel Prior were convincingly outgunned 6-1 at Hartlepool Tech, grabbing a consolation when they were five goals down. Oddfellows Arms were pipped 4-3 by visitors Trimdon Vets, while Wearmouth Old Boys lost 3-1 at Heighington Bay Horse.

John Hogg Funerals and The Philadelphia could only muster up the bare 11 players each for their Division Two derby.

The hosts swere unlucky not to be a couple of goals up, with stout defending and good reaction saves from John Rowntree keeping Phili alive. A stalemate looked on until Phili got half a chance and, after some neat approach play, Alan Jones was on hand to force the ball over the line, in the last minute.

The hosts, though, gave it all they had from the resulting kick-off and the referee awarded them a disputed penalty, which Joe Clark converted to scrape a draw.

The point lifted The Philadelphia off the foot of the table on goal difference.

Horden Sportsmans were toppled from top spot after being held to a 1-1 draw by Blakelaw SC, who also remain unbeaten.

Durham Stonebridge are the new front-runners after a 6-0 demolition of South Shields Catholic Club, though they are only in pole position on goal difference from Wallsend Boys Club, who won 4-2 at neighbours North Shields Pineapple.

Pelton Crown secured their third league win, beating Peterlee Helford 6-3, while Mill View SC succumbed to a 6-1 drubbing at The Milbourne Arms.

Much-improved Dubmire secured a 3-1 First Division win at Grindon Broadway to sit in fourth place.

Fred Patterson was Dubmire’s man of the match, scoring a delightful brace.

His first came from a free-kick from the edge of the box which was destined for the top right corner of the net the moment it left his boot.

Darren Cliff levelled within a minute, but it was Patterson’s day and he restored the lead with a drilled shot through a crowded goalmouth from the edge of the box. David Jane completed the scoring after a great dribble through the defence.

Alan Ridley stood out for Grindon.

Seaham Marlborough climbed to ninth place after recording only their second victory, 4-2 away to pointless bottom club St Mary’s College.

Hartlepool Gillen Arms moved top thanks to a 3-2 win over Coxhoe Red Lion, who had gone ahead with a stunning strike, as previous leaders Ferryhill Greyhound drew 2-2 with Easington CIU in an excellent game.

Greyhound are behind Gillen on goal difference, with CIU third, a point behind.

Hylton CW slipped to sixth after losing 2-1 to Thornley Celtic, who now sit fifth.

Red House WMC finally secured a first Premier Division victory, at the sixth attempt, 3-2 at Hebburn Town.

Ryhope Foresters stayed third, despite their 4-1 derby mauling at newly-promoted Wearmouth CW, who are up to fourth-bottom spot with their second win.

Washington Victoria Inn dropped to seventh after losing 2-0 at Heaton Stannington, with Penshaw Catholic Club now above them following an excellent 4-1 triumph away to Tudhoe Black Horse.

Vince Martin scored in each half to give Heaton the edge. Jon Sunderland was their star man, while Steve Jones shone for Victoria.

Leaders Marden hammered Billingham Swan 8-1 away to go four points clear.