Over-40s League: The boy Sean’s Dunn good for Mill View

Ivy Legends (blue) tackle Waldridge Park in a recent Over-40s League meeting. Picture by Kevin Brady
Ivy Legends (blue) tackle Waldridge Park in a recent Over-40s League meeting. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

MILL View WMC edged a hard-fought 2-1 victory to Boldon Colliery Tavern to keep up their promotion challenge in Division Three.

Boldon were on top in the early stages, and their pressure paid off when the Mill defence was forced into an error which resulted in a penalty. The subsequent spot-kick was missed, though, and proved to be a wake-up call for the visitors, who improved almost immediately.

Both sides had chances to go ahead before the break, and Mill finally broke the deadlock in the second half, when a fine move down the right ended with a low strike by Ashley Hodgson into the bottom corner.

Boldon kept battling and their hard work paid off when star man Micky Ord nodded an equaliser, but Mill responded well and another period of pressure brought a winner from Sean Dunn, in another good move.

George Duncan shone for Mill View

Horden Sportsmans moved top of the table following a resounding 12-0 victory at struggling Hartlepool Greenside.

Billy Scott scored a hat-trick, while Daryl Burns, Steve Musgrove, Gary Ferguson and Lee Davis each got two. Dale Arkless also notched against a luckless Greenside team who began with just nine players.

Hedworthfield Red Hackle led when a deflected shot looped over the keeper, but Hartlepool Stag & Monkey roared back to win 4-1, Darren Rowbotham firing a treble.

Ivy Legends climbed to 10th place in Division Four by beating Newcastle East End 2-1, capitalising as Chaplins lost 5-0 to impressive new leaders Sedgefield Black Lion.

In Division Two, Blue House remain rooted to the foot of the table after losing 2-0 at Deneside WMC, while Hylton CW picked up a fine point in a 3-3 thriller at third-top CSSC Darsley Park.

Wingate Cons Club trailed 2-0 inside five minutes at Cobblers Hall but rallied strongly to level through Alan Presho, converting Barry Speckman’s cross, and a good Kevin Taylor strike.

Malcolm Fallow and Dave Simpson were close to firing Wingate ahead, but Cobblers won it five minutes from time.

Easington CIU revelled in their welcome break from a difficult Premier Division campaign as they handed out a 9-0 defeat to Third Division hosts Washington JFC Biddick Inn in the Kip Watson Villa Real Cup.

Glen Hoyland ran onto Norman Hird’s pass to smash home CIU’s opener, and it was 3-0 by the half-hour mark as Hoyland returning the favour for Hird and then set up Ian Craggs to score.

Easington scored at regular intervals after the break. Craggs combined with Anthony Ward to set up Hoyland for his second, then Hughie Healey won a race with the keeper to get on the end of David Swan’s through ball for 5-0.

The same pair combined for Healy to tap in number six, then his free-kick fell kindly for Swan to net.

Healy completed his hat-trick, sweeping home a Lyons cross, and then he broke away with Ward for the latter to complete the scoring.

Washington Cross Keys made hard work of their 2-0 home success against Wallsend Winstons. Keys got off to a great start, with two goals in the first half hour. Firstly, Daryl Smith poached a goal when Ian Hall could only parry out a great Nathan Hicks header.

Sweeper Smith also got the second when he charged upfield, picked up a square ball from Andy Lumsden and rifled home from the edge of the box.

Never-say-die Winstons kept battling and the rest of the game was end to end, with the visitors’ Chris Arnott rattling a 30-yard volley against the bar.

never gave up and the rest of the game was end to end with both sides having their chances. Flying winger Steve Jones stood out for Keys.

Wearmouth CW put up a gallant fight against Premier high-fliers Cramlington Burton House, only going down 3-2 in a close tie, while Steels SC were pipped 3-2 by visitors Darlington Shuttle and Loom.

Fourth Division Billingham Vets fought gamely before losing 1-0 to Premier club South Shields, whose goal was a 20-yarder which just evaded the keeper.