Over-40s League: Steels’ Brett better late than never

Blue House (blue strip) take on Hylton CW in the Over-40s League last week.
Blue House (blue strip) take on Hylton CW in the Over-40s League last week.
Have your say

BRETT Cummings came up trumps for Steels Social Club with a dramatic, last-minute winner in their Premier Division trip to Washington Cross Keys.

The game started very brightly for Steels when Cummings hit the post in the first minute, but Washington retaliated when Keith Gamble blasted a shot over the bar.

Steels’ Trevor Laidler then struck the post again just before half-time.

The second half had plenty of goalmouth incidents, especially for Steels but it looked like being a goalless draw until Cummings popped up to score with a delightful header from a corner in the dying minutes.

Andy Lumsden worked tirelessly in midfield for Keys, while Laidler shone up front for Steels.

Penshaw Catholic climbed to second place in Division One thanks to a fine 2-0 derby success at Dubmire.

Dubmire were the better team in the opening 20 minutes but failed to take their chances and duly paid the price. Penshaw finally got going and took the lead after 30 minutes with a lovely left foot strike from Ian Burnett.

The visitors took control in the second half and grabbed a match-clinching second goal, when Cullen’s free-kick found Henry Thomas, who finished well.

Freddie Patterson starred for the hosts, with Craig McCullough best for Penshaw.

Leaders Redcar Newmarket won 4-0 at fifth-top Grindon Broadway, while Ryhope Foresters stayed sixth after a 4-2 loss to Pelton Crown, who now lie third.

Wearmouth CW extended their advantage at the top of Division Two to six points, following their 4-0 derby defeat of Humbledon & Plains Farm.

Closest rivals North Ormesby Vets were held 2-2 by Peterlee Helford.

Ormesby struck early on, but Darren Little headed home an Ian Broom cross to equalise. Ormsby regained the lead from an 80th-minute corner, but Helford rallied again.

Alan Revie had an effort scrambled off the line and another goal-bound shot deflected wide, but he charged down a clearance by the keeper to level in the very last minute.

Deneside WMC won 4-0 at Cobblers Hall, while Hylton CW beat bottom club Blue House 2-0 and Houghton Cricket endured a 5-0 beating at Blakelaw SC.

Horden Sportsmans moved back to the top of Division Three, despite being pushed all the way in a 3-2 home win over Washington JFC Biddick Inn.

Scott McAlinden slotted home a penalty after he was brought down and also scored Horden’s third.

In between, man of the match Lee Davis struck home a fine shot.

Mill View WMC slipped from the top after being held 1-1 by Hedworthfield Red Hackle.

Hackle started the better side without really testing the Mill View keeper, and it was the hosts who deservedly took the lead when Ashley Hodgson had a low drive saved, but Gary Hodgson followed up to bundle the ball over the line.

Mill created chances to increase their lead but failed to capitalise and were made to rue the misses when a speculative 25-yarder looped home for Hackle’s 83rd-minute leveller.

Sean Dunn and Gavin Kirk shone for Mill.

Boldon Colliery Tavern enjoyed a fine 5-1 victory at Shildon Grey Horse, while second-bottom Willow Pond drew 4-4 in a thriller with Wallsend Winstons.

The Philadelphia crashed 7-4 to Thornley Celtic in an epic Fourth Division clash.

Thornley started off well and were two up in 10 minutes, but, before the break, Paul Russell got the ball on the right and beat a defender before sweeping the ball past Thornley’s diving goalkeeper, to cut the deficit to 2-1.

Another daft 10-minute spell allowed Thornley to score another two goals, but Phili rallied when Brian Teasdale cut inside and beat two defenders before firing a 25-yarder into the top corner.

Celtic sealed a comfortable victory, but Russell struck twice more for Phili to complete his hat-trick.

Rolls-Royce enjoyed a 1-0 home win over Billingham Vets, taking all three points thanks to a fortuitous goal, direct from a corner.

The kick was floated in to the near post through a number of bodies and somehow entered the net.

Leaders Oddies were held 1-1 at third-top Waldridge Park, while second-placed Sedgefield Black Lion succumbed 1-0 at mid-table Newcastle East End.

Bottom club Hartlepool Vets finally secured their first point of the season, drawing 2-2 with third-bottom Durham City Strollers – but they were still gutted as the visitors hit back from two down, equalising in the final seconds.