Over-40s League: Stand-in striker Dean lays down the Laws as Ivy make it six wins out of six

Rolls Royce (blue) take on Houghton Cricket Club last weekend
Rolls Royce (blue) take on Houghton Cricket Club last weekend
Have your say

Ivy Legends marked their best ever start to a season with a sixth straight win, 2-1 against spirited Trimdon Veterans in Division Four.

Trimdon threatened only sporadically but battled all the way in a close game.

The loss of Michael Cleugh was a last-minute disappointment for Ivy, forcing a reshuffle, but Dean Laws, moved from centre-back to centre-forward produced a tremendous man-of-the-match display as the target man.

Jason Petits waved his bandaged figures to the sky after crashing home a loose ball to put Ivy ahead after 10 minutes.

Ten minutes later, Trimdon’s stand-in keeper generously passed the ball to Steve Finn on the edge of the box, but he redeemed himself with a point blank save, the first of two in the game.

The ref took a hand with a rather harsh penalty awarded against Alan Neal, who protested in vain as Trimdon levelled, but he was to have the last laugh with the winner after 70 minutes, his third goal in consecutive games.

Trimdon almost snatched a second equaliser but a fine save from “Spike” Mulligan sealed Ivy’s win.

Colonel Prior lost 4-1 to visitors Hartlepool Vets, bagging their consolation with a second-half own goal.

Oddfellows Arms were outgunned 10-1 at leaders Roseberry Grange, while Boldon Colliery Tavern’s 100% record was ended as Hartlepool Tech forced a 3-3 draw, three times cancelling out Boldon leads.

Bottom club Wearmouth Old Boys lost 3-0 at Durham County.

Willow Pond secured an excellent 3-2 win over Shildon Grey Horse in Division Three. Willow’s slick passing produced three goals in eight minutes for man of the match Kit Tipling to bag a first-half hat-trick.

The first came from a right-wing John Forster cross, with Tipling heading home after Shildon’s poor clearance.

Keith Thompson’s left-wing cross was squeezed in by Tipling at the far post, and he sealed his treble, scoring at the second attempt after a fine pass by Dean Cassidy.

Shildon rallied, led by their star man, Neil Bannister. Stephen Hoare steamed into the box unmarked to score with a bullet header, cutting the deficit to 3-1.

It was 3-2 when Willow keeper Matt Gartland was unable to hold onto a cross and David Bulleyment slotted past the defenders on the line.

Willow had chances to seal victory, but Ian McMahon tipped over Mark Wood’s 30-yard piledriver.

Rolls-Royce finished 4-3 winners against Houghton Cricket Club, when a draw was probably a fairer result.

Houghton struck first when Clive Greenwood floated a lovely free-kick into the box and, with the defence flat-footed, the ball ended up in the back of the net.

A stern talking to by manager Parkin at half-time reaped rewards as Rolls raised their game.

Dicky Defty delivered a cross towards the edge of the penalty area and Wayne Browell flicked it on and it nestled right into the corner of the goal to make it 1-1.

Greenwood then gave Houghton the lead again from the penalty spot, after a push in the box.

Rolls were soon level terms when Watson’s nice through ball found Laidler, who made no mistake with a right-foot shot at the back post.

Dave Watson put Rolls ahead for the first time, after a great move from Micky Agnew, but Micky Forster used his pace to latch onto a ball over the top to pull Houghton level at 3-3.

Rolls, though, won it when confusion in the Houghton defence led to the ball somehow ending up in the back of the net, with Agnew claiming the goal.

Oddies remain bottom after a 4-2 defeat at Washington JFC Biddick Inn.

The Philadelphia endured yet another bad day at the office as Mill View Club ran out 5-1 winners in Division Two.

Mill View were ahead inside 10 minutes and the home defence’s problems continued as the visitors raced into a 5-0 lead at half-time, with goals from Ashley Hodgson, Gary Hodgson, Anthony Hodgson, Clifton Thompson and Chris Nuddin.

After some “discussions” at half -time and tactical changes, The Philadelphia took the game to Mill View, creating chances and grabbing a consolation, with Alan Jones pouncing in the 75th minute.

Unbeaten Horden Sportsmans won again, 4-3 at Gateshead Teams SC, while John Hogg Funerals lost 2-1 at Blakelaw SC, Peterlee Helford beat North Shields Pineapple 3-1 and leaders Durham Stonebridge triumphed 2-0 at The Milbourne Arms.

In the only Premier Division game, Washington Victoria Inn drew 2-2 with Cramlington Burton House.

Dubmire suffered a 9-1 defeat to Premier side Heaton Stannington in the Kenny Ball Cup.

The Tynesiders were five up by half-time as Davy Gatherar, Andy Martin (2), Steve Preen and Steve Waugh scored. The trend continued in the second half when Preen and Martin completed hat-tricks,, with Jon Sunderland also netting.

Red House WMC won through 3-1 at Penshaw Catholic Club, while Wearmouth CW convincingly despatched Dormans 3-0. Hylton CW exited, beaten 6-2 by visitors Wallsend Community, while Ryhope Foresters had a walkover against Coxhoe Red Lion.

Seaham Marlborough cruised home 5-0 in their all-Division One clash with Consett, and high-flying Easington CIU overwhelmed hosts South Shields 7-0.