Over-40s League: Philadelphia fliers revel in doubles from Machin and Russell

Willow Pond get in a shot in last week's clash with Houghton Cricket Club. Picture by Kevin Brady
Willow Pond get in a shot in last week's clash with Houghton Cricket Club. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

The Philadelphia stepped up their promotion push with a 5-2 victory at home to Hedworthfield Red Hackle.

Martin Cowell picked up a ball on the left side of the Hackle area and calmly stroked home an eighth-minute opener.

The visitors quickly levelled, with Stephen Toop netting.

The Philadelphia then took control and man of the match Mark Nixon was tripped in the area, with Paul Russell expertly placing his penalty wide of the keeper.

Skipper Neil Machin made it 3-1 from 10 yards, and a fourth goal followed when Machin thumped a great shot into the roof of the net.

Russell made it five, picking up a pass in midfield, beating his marker and unleasingd a ferocious 25-yarder which deceived the keeper

Toop grabbed a second for Hackle, but Phili wasted a chance of a sixth goal, when Machin, gunning for a hat-trick, hit the post with a penalty.

Rolls-Royce and Redcar Old Boys ended all square at 3-3 in a very entertaining game,

Rolls took the lead, Dave Watson tapping in a Kev Agnew cross, but Redcar turned it around, to lead 2-1 with goals from John Carless and Jon Risdale.

Man of the match Kev Agnew hauled Rolls level with a solo effort, then the Sunderland side then took the lead with Simon ‘Chirpy’ Chapman scoring a rare goal from 25 yards out.

Redcar equalised with five minutes to go with a goal from star man Jason Peel, who slotted home after beating the offside trap.

Oddies climbed to fourth place with a 3-2 victory over Richmond Town.

Ralph Dodd put Oddies 1-0 up early on, but they could not find a second and Richmond equalised, before going ahead, capitalising on a defensive mistake.

Dodd headed across goal for Col Cowen to level at 2-2, and a free-kick from Cail Rowntree gave Oddies the spoils with a deserved winner three minutes from time.

Leaders Blue House are five points clear after defeating Sedgefield Black Lion 5-1.

Gary Shields maintained his impressive form with a four-goal haul, with Dean Cassidy scoring the other in another impressive all-round performance.

Wallsend Winstons defeated Hartlepool Stag and Monkey 2-0, thanks to strikes from Richardson and Rantoul, who raced from halfway before sliding home his shot.

Willow Pond bagged only their third league win, defeating Houghton Cricket 5-1 to climb to third-bottom spot.

Red House WMC progressed in the Premier Division’s Robson Pattison Cup, winning their derby 2-0 at Ryhope Foresters.

Penshaw Catholic Club crashed 5-1 at Tudhoe Black Horse.

Easington CIU progressed in the Alan Spedding Cup after a fantastic game at Grindon Broadway, winning 4-1.

Grindon took the lead after 12 minutes, but Easington hit straight back to equalise a minute later. A great effort from Harry Garrighan was fumbled by the keeper, at the far post, and Tigger Lyons was on hand to blast the ball into an empty net.

CIU took the lead on the hour mark when a cross from star man David Banks was not cleared properly and the ball fell perfectly for Steve Adair to rifle it in from 12 yards.

Both sides had chances after that but Easington finally put the game to bed with two further Adair goals, the second from the penalty spot.

Washington Sandpiper romped to an 8-1 win at North Ormesby Vets, while Pelton Crown outgunned Milbourne Arms 4-1.

Wearmouth CW climbed to within a point of second-top Washington Sandpiper by beating lowly St Mary’s College 3-1 in the only First Division game.

Hylton CW secured a 2-0 Second Division win at home to Hartlepool Catholic Club, with the home side’s near-relentless pressure paying off with two goals in the final 20 minutes.

Second-top Seaham returned to winning ways by beating struggling Cobblers Hall 4-2, while Mill View SC went down 2-1 to Gateshead Rutherford.

Bottom club Oddfellows Arms were sunk 4-1 by Division Four visitors Hartlepool Vets, pulling back a goal when they were three down.

Colonel Prior slipped to a 4-0 defeat at Trimdon Vets, while Pelton Newfield shared the spoils in a 3-3 draw with Billingham Vets.