Over-40s League: Penshaw hail super Kev in super victory at Wallsend

Oddies (red/black) battle Blue House last week. Picture by Kevin Brady
Oddies (red/black) battle Blue House last week. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Penshaw Catholic climbed to eighth place in the Premier Division, defeating Wallsend Community 2-0 away.

In a good game despite the difficult conditions, the first half finished 0-0, with limited chances at either end.

Penshaw upped their game on the restart, though, and took the lead with Stuart Archbold’s neat header into the corner of the net. Ten minutes later, Kev Turnes made it two when he scored straight from a corner.

Wallsend rallied, but Penshaw held on for a good win.

Ryhope Foresters maintained seventh place thanks to a hard-earned 1-0 win at Hebburn Town.

Hebburn rued their missed chances as they dominated the game only to be rocked by a rare chance for Foresters in the last minute, when man of the match Marcus Turnbull pounced for the only goal. Terry Smith starred for Hebburn.

Easington CIU and fellow promotion contenders Washington Sandpiper shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw in Division One, to stay fourth and third respectively.

CIU were the first to show and took the lead in the fifth minute, Lee Cotton rounding the keeper after beating the offside trap.

But Washington settled into the game and, by half-time, they were 2-1 ahead.

Easington, though, began the second half brightly and levelled within six minutes, Micky Burdess driving home a 20-yard free-kick.

Neither side could find a winner, so it ended 2-2, just as it had done when the sides met on the first day of the season.

Wearmouth CW moved top, on goal difference, ahead of Heaton Stannington thanks to their 5-0 romp at Coxhoe Red Lion.

Grindon Broadway eased to a 5-0 win over Yarm outfit St Mary’s College.

After a dull first 25 minutes, Micky Greenwell’s 15-yard shot was brilliantly saved by keeper Tim Ollomon. The rebound fell at the feet of Greenwell, but his effort, heading for the top corner, was again saved in style, only for the forward to make sure at the third attempt.

Five minutes into the second half, “Sniffer” Griffiths put the game to bed, beating two defenders then rounding the goalkeeper to make it 2-0.

Darren Cliff quickly added a third, cutting in from the right and beating two defenders before firing in a left-foot rocket shot.

“Whippet” Cliff raced down the flank to cross for Griffiths to extend the leaf to four, and Griffiths completed a third hat-trick of the season late on.

Referee Michael Cullinan had an excellent game.

Pelton Crown netted twice in the last eight minutes to secure a stunning 3-2 victory over Hartlepool Gillen Arms, bagging the winner on the counter-attack from a defensive corner.

Dubmire lost 2-1 to Consett to stay third-bottom.

Hylton CW romped to a 7-1 Second Division success against Darsley Park to rise to third placed, while Seaham were held to a 1-1 draw by Durham Stonebridge yet moved top by a point from Thornley Celtic.

Mill View SC edged a 2-1 victory against Horden Sportsmans to ease their relegation fears, but Peterlee Helford were sunk 3-0 by Gateshead Rutherford.

Ivy Legends pipped Hartlepool Tech 3-2 in Division Four, on a mudbath of a pitch.

Neither side could score in the first half, but two quickfire efforts at the start of the second period saw Ivy take control. Jason Fenwick rallied Tech with a fine goal and a penalty, but Legends broke to grab the winner.

Colonel Prior bagged a third win of the season, 3-2 at fellow strugglers Wearmouth Old Boys, while bottom club Oddfellows Arms lost 3-0 at 100 per cent high-fliers Newcastle East End.

New Marske SC, the other side with a perfect record, made it 13 wins out of 13, beating Billingham Vets 3-0 with goals from Dion Gibbon, Justin Armstrong and Stephen Whalley.

Rolls-Royce secured another good win, with a goal in each half seeing off Sedgefield Black Lion 2-0 to see them up to seventh place in Division Three.

Mick Atkinson got his first of the season, with a right-footed shot from inside the box.

Wayne Browell then killed the game off with Rolls’ second goal, with a good turn to beat the defender and a shot from 15 yards out.

Table-toppers Blue House hammered fourth-placed Oddies with another excellent all-round performance.

Neil Hixon, Martin Swales and David Kennedy all netted twice, with Gary Shields and Paul Halliday also scoring. Steven Dunlop and Tommy Wilkinson stood out at the back for Blue House.

Wingate Cons stayed two points behind Blue by beating Hartlepool Stag & Monkey 1-0, having a goal disallowed for offside before chipping the winner in off the underside of the bar.

Willow Pond moved up to sixth-bottom spot by beating Richmond Town 3-2, while bottom club Boldon Colliery Tavern secured only their third win, 3-2 at Woodhorn Lane to move level with the Ashington side. Washington JFC Biddick Inn lost their mid-table battle 2-1 to Hedworthfield Red Hackle.