Over-40s League: Jeff returns in triumph after three years away as last-gasp wonder save seals Rolls-Royce success

Wearmouth Old Boys (red and white) take on Fourth Division leaders Roseberry Grange last week. Picture by Tim Richardson
Wearmouth Old Boys (red and white) take on Fourth Division leaders Roseberry Grange last week. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Rolls-Royce edged a 2-1 Third Division win over Redcar Old Boys to go third in the table.

Redcar produced a good finish, after a ball over the top, for the opener, but Rolls took the game by the scruff of the neck and deservedly equalised when Wayne Browell’s powerful shot could only be parried by the keeper, with Andy Laidler steaming in to almost burst the net with a ferocious finish.

Davy Watson won it when he lobbed the keeper from 25 yards. Substitute keeper Jeff Lough, returning after three and a half years in the wilderness, made a wonder save in the dying seconds to deny Redcar a point.

Willow Pond shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Washington JFC Biddick Inn.

Willow created three early chances only to be denied by keeper Stephen Halliday. Instead, Washington struck first as Gary Fox slotted home a low cross.

Halliday saved a Kit Tipling effort at full stretch, but Gary Golightly levelled, dummying his marker before firing a low shot into the left corner of the net.

Biddick Inn’s Andy Liddle hit the bar and they forced Willow keeper Matt Gartland into a couple of saves. Willow took the lead after another fine passing move was finished by Tipling, but star man Jason Jones converted a penalty, following a push by Brian Adamson, to make it 2-2.

Dave Kelly was outstanding for Willow, who felt they should have won.

Oddies remain without a win after losing 2-1 at Woodhorn Lane, while Houghton Cricket enjoyed an excellent 2-1 success against high-flying Richmond Town.

Washington Victoria Inn produced their best performance of the season so far to end Hartlepool Touchdown’s unbeaten Premier Division record.

Victoria set the pattern for the game from the kick-off, putting Touchdown under pressure and they dominated the first half.

Mark Robson put them 1-0 up, volleying in a clever, low corner from Andy Lumsden.

Touchdown fought harder in the second half, but Victoria doubled their lead when Phil Sowerby headed in a Robson cross.

Washington survived a siege-like final 10 minutes to see out the win, with Andy Lumsden star man as they climbed to fifth place on 14 points.

Third-top Ryhope Foresters and fourth-placed Penshaw Catholic Club also have 14 points. Foresters routed bottom club Billingham Swan 4-0 away, while Penshaw were held 1-1 by Cramlington Burton House.

Leaders Marden pipped Darlington Shuttle & Loom 3-2, while Wearmouth CW enjoyed a fourth straight win, 2-1 at Tudhoe Black Horse.

Draw specialists Red House WMC had a fourth share in a 1-1 draw with Heaton Stannington. Chances were few and far between, and the draw was a fair result.

Barry Cook voilleyed home Red House’s opener, after a shot hit the bar, but left-back Micky Curry’s unstoppable 35-yarder into the top left corner levelled matters.

Grindon Broadway handed out only a second Division One defeat to Thornley Celtic, securing a 2-1 victory.

Celtic were ahead after just three minutes, star man Paul Luke catching Grindon’s defence asleep. Grindon, though, took command afer that and Richie Bland levelled from 12 yards on 31 minutes.

Six minutes later, Paul Griffiths scored the winner, with Grindon unable to add to their tally despite dominating the second half.

Carl Ridley starred for Grindon, while referee Mark Watson won praise from both sides.

Dubmire stayed second, a point behind Hartlepool Gillen Arms, after both sides drew 0-0, against Dormans and Ferryhill Greyhound respectively.

Hylton CW moved level on points with Dubmire thanks to a 3-2 success at Consett, Easington CIU dropped to sixth after a 2-1 defeat at Whitley Bay Seahorse, while Seaham Marlborough, beaten 4-2 at South Shields, are third-bottom.

Mill View CIU came from behind to secure a 3-1 Second Division victory at Gateshead Teams SC.

Defences were on top in a tight first half, but Teams ended it ahead, following a soft penalty, awarded for a push.

Mill View responded well and equalised early in the second half when Chris Duddin slammed home a superb volley from the edge of the box.

Further pressure saw Ashley Hodgson score from close range, then Clifton Thomson chipped the keeper to ensure victory. The impressive Patch Armstrong was man of the match. 

John Hogg Funerals started and finished strongly, but they still succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at Hartlepool Catholic Club, being denied by an outstanding Kevin Pout save in the process.

The Philadelphia had another bad day, losing 6-2 to high-flying Pelton Crown..

Phili struck first, Alan Jones latching onto a poor clearance and lashing home from 15 yards. Poor defending ended with the ball ricocheting around the box, before Pelton’s striker fired a leveller.

Pelton went ahead from a penalty and added three more goals in as many minutes. Their pace brought another goal before Ian Pallas brightened Phili’s day with a fine shot from the edge of the box.

Neil Worley fired a treble for Crown, backed by Ray Robson, Alan Forsyth and Ian Douglas.

Horden Sportsmans suffered a first defeat, 6-0 at CSSC Darsley Park, while Peterlee Helford won 6-2 at South Shields Catholic Club. Leaders Durham Stonebridge were held 0-0 at Blakelaw SC.

In Division Four, Colonel Prior bagged only their second win, beating Durham County 2-1, while Ivy Legends stayed second with a seventh victory, 3-2 at Trimdon Vets.

Wearmouth Old Boys put up a fine fight before losing 3-1 to table-topping Roseberry Grange.

Oddfellows Arms crashed 4-1 at Billingham Vets, while Boldon Colliery Tavern are third after sinking Heighington Bay Horse 2-1.