Over-40s League: Hodgsons lead the way as Mill View storm back from 3-1 down to outgun Horden Sportsmans

Oddies (red/black) battle to their first win of the season against Houghton Cricket Club. Picture by Kevin Brady
Oddies (red/black) battle to their first win of the season against Houghton Cricket Club. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Mill View SC roared back from 3-1 down to secure a 5-3 Second Division win at Horden Sportsmans.

Horden started with 10 men but soon got their 11th and went ahead with their first attack. They doubled their lead, beating the offside trap, only for Anthony Hodgson to pull one back from close range.

Mill started the second half well but were hit on the break to trail 3-1. Gary Hodgson headed in a good Clifton Thompson cross to cut the deficit, then George Bell slammed home a loose ball in the box to equalise.

Mill were on top and they stormed in front as Gary Hodgson hit his second from the edge of the box.

Horden tried a brief comeback, but Chris Duddin sealed a hard-earned Mill win, heading in a corner for 5-3. Mark Naile made an impressive debut for Mill.

The Philadelphia played some of their best football so far this season, but they are still awaiting a first league win, after a cruel 2-0 home defeat to Milbourne Arms.

Phili keeper Brian Teasdale made some good saves in a goalless first half, then the hosts upped the pressure in the second period, only to be denied by the man-of-the-match visiting goalie.

Phili felt robbed when a header was well over the line, but the defenders cleared and the referee was not at the right angle to confirm the goal.

Phili were caught on the break twice in the final few minutes, as Gary Davey and Steve Whitworth gave Milbourne all three points.

Pelton Crown lost 4-3 to CSSC Darsley Park to lose top spot to Cobblers Hall, who beat Durham Stonebridge 3-0.

Willow Pond rose to seventh place in Division Three thanks to a 2-0 win over Hartlepool Stag and Monkey in a fiercely contested game.

Willow attacked from the off in the heavy rain, with Gary Golightly and Kit Tipling having piledrivers punched clear by keeper Dave Newton.

Mark Wilkinson kept Stag danger man Chris Forsyth quiet in midfield, and only Newton’s brilliance kept the visitors level at the break.

Man of the match Dave Kelly tortured the away side with his constant running, and Willow got their just rewards after a fine attacking move saw Golightly set up Tipling to hammer home an unstoppable shot.

It was soon 2-0 as Willow cranked up the pressure and Keith Thompson crossed from the right for Golightly, who dribbled past his marker and beat the keeper to score.

Oddies picked up their first win, at the 11th attempt, beating Houghton Cricket Club 3-1, but they remain bottom, three points adrift.

Washington JFC Biddick Inn are up to eighth after beating Rolls-Royce 2-1, with Durham County Strollers slipping to ninth after a 7-4 defeat at Redcar Old Boys.

Leaders Newcastle East End made it 11 wins in 12 games, edging Richmond Town 2-1.

Wearmouth Old Boys had a fifth of November to remember as they finally secured their first win in Division Four at the 12th attempt.

A fine 4-1 success at Trimdon Vets was enough to lift Wearmouth off the foot of the table at the hosts’ expense.

Ivy Legends dropped to third place after a second successive defeat, 3-2 at home to fourth-top Billingham Vets. Boldon Colliery Tavern moved above Ivy on goal difference with a 3-1 success at lowly Colonel Prior.

Leaders Roseberry Grange secured a 10th win in 12 games, 7-2 against Sedgefield, while Oddfellows Arms impressively demolished Hartlepool Jacksons Arms 4-0.

Ryhope Foresters maintained second place in the Premier Division after a hard-fought 1-1 draw with third-top Hartlepool Touchdown, who have two games in hand.

Marden moved 12 points clear with a 6-0 walloping of Washington Victoria Inn.

Wearmouth CW moved level with fourth-top Cramlington Burton House, beaten 2-1 at Hebburn Town, by drawing 1-1 at home to Wallsend Community.

Red House WMC had a walkover against bottom club Billingham Swan, going above Penshaw Catholic Club, who lost 5-3 at Darlington Shuttle & Loom.

Second-bottom Heaton Stannington enjoyed a second-half Steve Preen hat-trick as they came from behind to beat Tudhoe Black Horse 3-1. Luckless Tudhoe hit the post and bar.

Hylton CW kept up their impressive Division One promotion push with an excellent 3-0 victory at Easington CIU.

Hylton remain second, a point behind Hartlepool Gillen Arms, with a game in hand.

Gillen pipped Whitley Bay Seahorse 3-2 thanks to Tigger Lyons’ brace and a Nicky Lloyd strike, despite twice being pegged back and having a man sent off.

Dubmire got the better of Seaham Marlborough 4-3, a week after losing away to the Dawdon-based side, to go fourth. Grindon Broadway rose to seventh after an entertaining 4-4 draw with Dormans.

Kelly gave Dormans the lead, against the run of play, but two goals in two minutes from Paul Griffiths and Darren Cliff had Grindon deservedly on top.

Griffiths added a third early in the second half. The game looked won, so Grindon made three substitutions, but Dormans capitalised to storm 4-3 up, with Claxton and Clark among the goals.

Grindon kept pressing, though, and Griffths gave the goalkeeper no chance from the penalty spot to make it 4-4.

Thornley Celtic were outgunned 4-1 as Ferryhill Greyhound consolidated third place, St Mary’s College leapfrogged Consett into third-bottom spot, with a 2-1 away win, while South Shields saw off bottom club Coxhoe Red Lion 6-2.