Over-40s League: Head man Hammond gets Grindon in tune for Broadway hit

Colonel Prior take on Ivy Legends (blue) last week
Colonel Prior take on Ivy Legends (blue) last week
Have your say

Grindon Broadway kept their promotion hopes alive by beating North Ormesby Vets 4-1 in Division One.

“Sniffer” Griffiths converted a penalty for Grindon’s opener, and they increased their lead when Hammond scored with a brilliant header.

North Ormesby reduced the deficit when they took advantage of a mix-up in defence, but Grindon restored the two-goal advantage when Hammond got his second.

Ormesby were awarded a penalty, but Jobson saved brilliantly, then Hammond completed his hat-trick to seal the win. North Ormesby had two players sent off in the closing stages.

Third-placed Easington CIU completed the double over St Mary’s College, coming from behind to win 3-1.

CIU took only two minutes to level, David Banks crossing for man of the match Carl Saxby to net from 10 yards.

Five minutes later, Easington went 2-1 up, Saxby dispossessing a defender and striking a low, hard shot into the net. He then completed his hat-trick, getting on the end of a Tigger Lyons cross and sliding the ball into an empty net.

Washington Sandpiper moved within two points of leaders Heaton Stannington, whose game was among a raft of postponements, with a 4-1 victory at lowly Coxhoe Red Lion.

Dubmire moved off the bottom, above Coxhoe, thanks to a hard-earned 2-0 home win over Milbourne Arms

The Philadelphia came from behind late on to beat Hartlepool Stag & Monkey 3-2 in Division Three.

Stag had a good first half and led with a Brendan Deer goal, but Phili levelled on the hour, Mark Nixon forcing the ball home from close range.

Stag instantly restored the lead, Deer heading home a brilliant cross from Nick Watson, but Phili equalised with 10 minutes from time, with the fourth headed goal of the game, Andrew Bainbridge stealing in on the blind side to nod home.

Phili capitalised on a defensive slag to bag the winner, with the home keeper fumbling a cross-cum-shot and Paul Russell reacting quickest to steer the ball into the empty net.

Leaders Blue House endured a postponement, while Oddies moved up to fifth thanks to a 3-1 win at Redcar Old Boys. Willow Pond lost 3-2 at Hedworthfield Red Hackle, while bottom club Boldon Colliery Tavern went down by the same score to second-top Wallsend Winstons. Arnott (2) and Rantoul netted for Winstons.

Second-top Seaham suffered a rare defeat in Division Two, crashing 3-0 at Blakelaw SC, while Mill View SC picked up a 2-2 draw at Durham Stonebridge and Horden Sportsmans were pipped 3-2 in a tight battle at leaders Thornley Celtic.

Ryhope Foresters lost 5-1 at Hartlepool Touchdown, who moved top of the Premier Division, above inactive Marden, with the win. Foresters’ keeper saved a penalty, but the ball was crossed back in for an easy finish.

Steels King Bros stayed third-bottom after a 6-0 drubbing at third-top Cramlington Burton House.

In Division Four, Oddfellows Arms were pipped 4-3 at Hartlepool Tech.

Oddfellows struck first, but were rocked as Tech rallied to lead 2-1 and 3-2, equalising in turn before losing late on to a Paul Gillies strike.

Colonel Prior climbed above Wearmouth Old Boys into third-bottom spot after a 0-0 derby draw with third-top Ivy Legends.

Trimdon Vets drew 1-1 at Billingham Vets. Anthony Saiger floated a 40-yarder over the keeper for Trimdon’s opener, but Paul Armstrong levelled from a free-kick.