Over-40s League: Foresters on fire as Victoria find life tough at the top

Ryhope Foresters (red and white stripes) take control against Washington Victoria in the Over-40s League. Picture by Tim Richardson
Ryhope Foresters (red and white stripes) take control against Washington Victoria in the Over-40s League. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Washington Victoria Inn endured a tough baptism back in the Premier Division as a very strong Ryhope Foresters side eased to a 5-0 opening-day victory.

Ryhope went ahead after 15 minutes, with a Neil Moan header from a corner.

It was 2-0 before half time when Foresters beat the offside trap, with Jon Cullen running through to score.

Substitute Simon Andrews picked up a brace early in the second half, with Washington struggling at the back. A defensive mistake then left Anthony Nelson to run through on his own to complete the scoring at 5-0.

Stephen Halliday was outstanding for Ryhope, with Andy Lumsden best for Washington

Wearmouth CW produced a spirited display on their top-flight debut, with the First Division champions beaten 2-0 at Hartlepool Touchdown.

Andy McKenna’s early header and Bob Smith’s second-half strike, both from Jason Lappin crosses, won the day, though Wearmouth forced home goalkeeper Chris Pearson into a couple of excellent saves at 1-0.

Penshaw Catholic Club opened their campaign with a hard-earned 1-0 victory over Wallsend Community, while Red House WMC were beaten 2-0 by defending champions Marden and Tudhoe Black Horse surprised Cramlington Burton House with an impressive 3-1 away triumph.

Easington CIU had a dream start to their Division One campaign, hammering hosts South Shields 8-0.

They took the lead in the sixth minute when Lenny Houghton brought the ball out of defence and played a lovely pass through to John Graham, who strode into the box and placed the ball into the bottom corner.

CIU doubled their lead when Lee Cotton’s cross was firmly put away by Tommy Wilkinson.

It was 3-0 right after half-time, with the goal of the game.

A brilliant move involving Graham and Anthony Banks was finished off superbly by Wilkinson. A minute later, Scott Burns scored from a Lee Stockport cross, then Burns chipped the keeper for 5-0 and star man Wilkinson completing his hat-trick.

late on, Lee Jackson and Norman Hird completed the rout.

Hylton CW, promoted from Division Two, kicked off with a hard-earned 1-0 derby success against Grindon Broadway.

Seaham Marlborough lost 4-2 to visitors Ferryhill Greyhound, Dubmire secured a fine 3-1 win at Consett, Thornley Celtic outgunned Coxhoe Red Lion 4-0 and a John Linighan header saw Hartlepool Gillen Arms home 1-0 at St Mary’s College, Yarm.

In the Kip Watson Villa Real Cup, Rolls-Royce enjoyed a late show in a dramatic 3-2 win over Hartlepool Stag & Monkey.

Stag scored first and had a goal disallowed before Rolls levelled a minute later, thanks to a 25-yard piledriver from Andy Laidler. The Hartlepool side led again from a 20-yard free-kick, but Rolls struck twice in the final 10 minutes to secure victory.

A deft flick over the keeper from Dave White drew them level, then a good finish from Gary Anderson, in the last minute, sealed the deal.

Pelton Crown defeated Hartlepool Tech 3-1 in a highly entertaining game, after falling behind to a well-made Jason Fenwick strike.

Pelton equalised with the last kick of the first half, from a ball over the top, then netted twice on the restart while Tech had two efforts disallowed for offside.

Washington JFC Biddick Inn were clinical in front of goal as they beat Hartlepool Vets 3-0, victory wrapped up by a second-half penalty.