Over-40s League: Foresters’ fire ends Penshaw record

Ryhope Foresters (red) on the run against Penshaw Catholic Club last week. Picture by Corrina Atkinson
Ryhope Foresters (red) on the run against Penshaw Catholic Club last week. Picture by Corrina Atkinson
Have your say

PENSHAW Catholic Club lost their unbeaten First Division record with a 1-0 defeat at home to Ryhope Foresters.

The first half was a battle but ended all square.

Ryhope came more into the game in the second half and got the winner midway through with a good goal by Liam Stokoe. They might have won by a bigger margin but for a couple of good saves from man of the match Craig Mccullough.

Dubmire convincing outgunned Hartlepool Gillen Arms 3-0, going ahead with a well-crafted early goal.

Dubmire doubled their lead from the spot, after Gillen’s keeper was sent off, and they soon added a killer third goal.

Pelton Crown drew 2-2 with Consett, while St Mary’s College pipped hosts Hartlepool Catholic Club 3-2 despite a double for Mick Eglintine.

Washington Cross Keys ended their run of six defeats with a welcome 3-2 Premier Division victory at Easington CIU – despite playing the whole of the second half with 10 men.

A quiet first half burst into life in the final five minutes, Justin Kirtley heading home Chris Holtan’s excellent cross for Keys’ opener, then Holtan beating the offside trap to send Gary Allison through to score a second.

Allison was then sent off for raising his hand to a defender in a goalmouth melee in the last minute of the half.

Easington hit back midway through the second half when Norman Hird crept in at the back post to net. Keys regained their two-goal advantage when sweeper Daryl Smith stormed up the field and thumped a shot home.

Easington’s man of the match, Harry Garrighan, cut the deficit to 3-2, but Washington defended well to see the game out, with new centre-half Steven Brown the star man.

Steels Social Club shared the spoils at Billingham Swan in a 3-3 mid-table thriller, while Red House WMC edged home 3-2 at second-top Cramlington Burton House, handing their opponents a first league defeat.

Spennymoor Salvin Arms beat Ferryhill Greyhound 2-0 in their derby, while Hebburn Town succumbed 4-2 at Hartlepool Touchdown, whose success was marred by a broken leg sustained by keeper Lenny French. Andy McKenna netted twice for Touchdown.

Wearmouth CW maintained their one-point lead at the top of Division Two after a hard-fought 3-1 victory at home to lowly Wingate Cons.

The hosts had a player sent off after 10 minutes but still went ahead soon after. Wingate were denied a penalty when Kevin Taylor was fouled, but they equalised early in the second half when Taylor’s cross was swept in off the post by Brian Coulson.

Two quick goals put Wearmouth back in control, although Wingate spurned the chance of a comeback when they cleared the bar from the penalty spot after Taylor was fouled.

Keith McWilliams was the visitors’ star man.

Peterlee Helford lost 5-1 to Coxhoe Red Lion to slump into second-bottom spot.

Helford, fielding a makeshift back four, were three down in 20 minutes and it was 4-0 at half-time. Despite a second-half improvement, they fell five behind before star man Ian Broom bagged a consolation strike.

Hylton CW climbed to seventh after beating third-top visitors Humbledon and Plains Farm, while Deneside WMC lost 2-0 to second-placed North Ormesby Vets and bottom club Houghton Cricket Club lost 1-0 at renamed Durham Stonebridge (formerly Langley Park Rams Head).

Blue House stayed fifth-bottom after losing 3-1 to Blakelaw SC.

Horden Sportsmans continued their good form in Division Three with a 3-1 home win over The Philadelphia.

Billy Scott slotted home the opener, but Phili levelled before the break. Horden were back in front through Dave Wood’s cracking strike, then Scott rounded the keeper to make it 3-1 late on. Lee Davis was Sportsmans’ man of the match.

Mill View WMC lost top spot after crashing 2-1 at home to Fiddlers Three, allowing Thornley Celtic to go top on goal difference after a 6-1 rout of Hedworthfield Red Hackle.

Trimdon Vets lost 3-1 to Hartlepool Stag & Monkey, levelling at one point thanks to a header from a corner, while Willow Pond succumbed 3-1 at Redcar Old Boys, Washington JFC Biddick Inn climbed to seventh after sinking Boldon Colliery Tavern 3-1 and Wallsend Winstons convincingly beat Hartlepool Greenside 3-0 away.

Ivy Legends were narrowly beaten 3-2 by visitors Sedgefield Black Lion in a tight Fourth Division clash, despite a well-taken Phil Cleugh brace.

Jason Pettits was Ivy’s man of the match.

Oddies stayed top after beating Colonel Prior 3-0, keeping a point clear of Waldridge Park, who squeezed home 3-2 at Heighington Bay Horse.

Durham City Strollers slipped to fifth-bottom spot after losing 2-1 to Newcastle East End, while Billingham Vets rose to sixth on the back of a 4-0 trouncing of bottom club Hartlepool Vets, with Stewart Johnson, Daren Harrison, Martyn Blackburn and Lee Dale scoring.