Over-40s League: Finntastic day for 12-goal Ivy Legends

Grindon Broadway Over-40s
Grindon Broadway Over-40s
Have your say

Ivy Legends enjoyed a day to savour as they hit double figures to maintain third place in Division Four.

The Wearsiders travelled the well worn road to Hartlepool to renew acquaintances with Greenside after their recent cup victory.

Ivy spurned chances galore in that game but showed a ruthless streak they didn’t know they had to soar to victory.

Four goals apiece from Steve (can hit a barndoor) Finn and Michael Cleugh, alongside efforts from veteran Garry Lindsay, youngster Jason Pettits and almost veteran Brian Lumsden sealed an impressive 12-1 victory.

Billingham Vets entertained Wearmouth Old Boys and both teams played good football in the first half.

Wearmouth scored first from a penalty, taken by Eddy Brown, but the Teessiders equalised 15 minutes later, when Mark Fisher scored.

Billingham missed other clear-cuit chances befoe the break, but they took control on the restart, although battling Wearmouth proved hard to break down.

Nicolae Stanciu finally beat the Wearmouth defence at the far post, then Fisher converted a penalty and Garry Duffie completed the scoring at 4-1.

Bottom club Oddfellows Arms went down 2-0 at fifth-top Heighington Bay Horse, while Shildon Grey Horse lost 3-0 at Hartlepool Vets.

The wild weather forced off more than 20 games in all.

Oddies won an entertaining clash at Sedgefield Black Lion by the odd goal in nine to move up to fourth place in Division Three.

Oddies started in magnificenty style, storming into a 3-0 lead after just 12 minutes, with man of the match Cail Rowntree grabbing all three goals.

Defensive mistakes let Sedgefield back into the game and it was 3-3 before half-time, thanks to Gary Smith’s brace and a Brian Platt strike.

Colin Cowen made it 4-3 to Oddies with a 30-yard chip, but Smith completed his hat-trick 10 minutes later to level it up again.

Oddies, though, snatched the win two minutes from time.Cowen went clean through, only for the keeper to make a save, but the ball dropped to Ralph Dodd, who lobbed it home for a memorable winner.

Stand-in keeper Will Hay made a great save with seconds to go and, when the ball dropped to a Sedgefield forward, Michael Grieves made a great block to ensure Oddies’ success.

Rolls-Royce could have climbed to sixth place with a victory, but hosts Richmond Town triumphed 3-0.

Second-top Wingate Cons closed the gap on Blue House, whose match was one of several postponements, to two points when they cruised to a 5-1 victory at bottom club Boldon Colliery Tavern.

Red House WMC stayed sixth in the Premier Division despite succumbing to a 3-1 defeat at Hebburn Town.

Penshaw Catholic Club slipped to fifth-bottom spot after losing 3-1 to Marden, who regained top spot with the win.

Third-top Billingham Swan were surprisingly held to a 1-1 draw by fourth-bottom visitors Wallsend Community.

South Shields stay second bottom after going down 4-2 on their trip to Darlington Shuttle & Loom, who are now up to ninth.

Wearmouth CW won the match of the day in Division One, handing out only a second league defeat to leaders Heaton Stannington.

A single goal proved enough for the Colliers, who moved within three points of Heaton, with 14 games played apiece.

The only other game saw Hartlepool Gillen Arms win 3-2 at North Ormesby Vets in an entertaining clash. Nicky Lloyd’s brilliant 25-yard opener set the tone, and he added a second, with Mark Weatherall also on target.

Seaham shared the spoils in a 3-3 thriller at CSSC Darsley Park in Division Two.

That point took them level with Thornley Celtic, whose postponement means they now have two games in hand on their closest challengers.

South Shields Catholic Club edged a 4-3 win at Cobblers Hall to climb to eighth place.