Over-40s League: Finn-tastic finish as Ivy pip nine-man Oddfellows

The Philadelphia (red/black) take on Oddies in the Over-40s League
The Philadelphia (red/black) take on Oddies in the Over-40s League
Have your say

Ivy Legends and Sunderland rivals Oddfellows put on an entertaining Fourth Division game at the Limes, with the visitors being reduced to nine men with two sendings off.

Ivy edged the points 3-2 in a thrilling last five minutes. Oddfellows were extremely unlucky not to claim a point, or all three, but their brave efforts came to nought.

A rash tackle on Steven Finn, as he closed one on one with the keeper, saw an early dismissal. Ivy scented blood and duly took the lead after Tony Ross neatly evaded his marker and gave Jason Pettits the chance to slot home.

However, Ivy got complacent and allowed the 10-man visitors to fire a leveller.

Legends grew more frustrated after a succession of chances were missed, and they were duly punished when a swift break saw Oddfellows deservedly take the lead.

Ivy responded well though, Finn finding his shooting boots to slot home a well-taken equaliser.

Undeterred, Oddfellows came back again and won a controversial penalty in the 78th minute, but Jason “Spike” Mulligan produced a smart save.

Then, in the last minute, Ivy won a penalty of their own when Lindsay’s close-range shot was handled on the line. Cue another dismissal and a sweet penalty from Finn to clinch the points.

Wearmouth Old Boys led at Hartlepool Vets but ended up losing 2-1, while Colonel Prior were outgunned 3-0 by Hartlepool Greenside.

In Division Three, The Philadelphia secured a 3-1 win over Oddies in an end to end thriller.

Phili made the breakthrough on 15 minutes, with Andrew Bainbridge hitting a 20-yard free-kick over the wall and in off the crossbar, giving the keeper no chance.

Oddies equalised five minutes before half-time, after some neat approach play, with Mickey Grieves calmly netting.

The game remained wide open in the second half, but Alan Jones raced onto a fine through ball from Davie Robinson and slotted Phili’s second goal on the hour mark.

Oddies rallied again, but a second leveller eluded them and Jones made it three, breaking clear of the visiting defence to score.

Ref Chris Armstrong was praised for a excellent game.

Houghton Cricket came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw at Hartlepool Stag & Monkey, sealing a point when their keeper saved a last-minute penalty.

Wearmouth CW made it four wins out of four in Division One with a fine 3-1 victory at Pelton Crown.

Washington Sandpiper were pipped 3-2 at Hartlepool Gillen Arms, cutting the deficit to 2-1 with a penalty and ensuring a tight finale with a late second goal.

Easington CIU beat Dubmire 2-0. CIU started the game brightly, going in front after only five minutes when David Banks, Kenny Lynch and Steve Adair combined to set up Tigger Lyons to score from six yards.

However, they could not build on that and there was no further score in the first half.

The second half was a carbon copy of the first, with CIU doubling their lead six minutes in when a goalmouth scramble ended with Norman Hird converting.

Lee Stockport was Easington’s man of the match.

Seaham eased to a 3-1 Second Division win over Hartlepool Catholic Club, going ahead with a scruffy goal from a long throw. Pool levelled, but Seaham were clinical late on, netting twice.