Over-40s League: Brilliant Burnett helps Penshaw punish Penshaw

Washington Cross Keys (blue/black) have a shot against Red House WMC Over-40s last week. Picture by Kevin Brady
Washington Cross Keys (blue/black) have a shot against Red House WMC Over-40s last week. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

PENSHAW Catholic Club moved up to joint top spot in the First Division after a convincing 4-1 away win at fourth-top Pelton Crown.

They took the lead after 10 minutes, with a good finish from Henry Thomas, then Ian Burnett volleyed home from a corner to double the lead five minutes later.

Watson added a second with a great dipping volley after good work by Brian Esteris

Pelton came back into the game and pulled one back just before half-time.

The second half saw some decent football in difficult conditions. Man of the match Burnett got his second, on the hour mark, to make it 3-1 and he went on to complete his hat-trick.

Chris Moody starred for Pelton.

Grindon Broadway drew 0-0 with Ryhope Foresters to stay fourth.

Every game was affected by the strong winds, but Peterlee Helford made light of it to record a 5-1 Division Two victory at Blue House.

They took an early lead when Paul Watson beat the offside trap and slotted home Ian Broom’s through ball. Watson added a second with a great dipping volley after good work by Brian Esteris. then Tony Brown chased down a defender and, with the keeper stranded, curled the ball into the unguarded net from the by-line.

Brown snatched his second, for 4-0, after an interchange with Watson, then a long ball over the top caught out the home defence for Watson to round the keeper to complete his hat-trick. Blue House scored a late consolation.

Wingate Cons Club were kicking themselves after losing 4-3 to South Shields Catholic Club.

Darren McDonald poked home a Tony Walton corner to put them in front, but Shields hit back to lead 2-1. Wingate, though, dominated the rest of the half and deservedly took a 3-2 lead into the break as Paul Bestford put Malcolm Fallow through for the equaliser and McDonald scored when Mark Collins set him up.

The hosts looked comfortable in the second half but gave away two bad goals in the last quarter – a defensive mix-up let Shields in for 3-3 and a free header at a corner cost them the game.

Humbledon & Plains Farm won 3-1 at Darsley Park to move within a point of their third-top hosts, while leaders Wearmouth CW kept up their impressive push for the title by thumping North Shields Pineapple 4-0.

Seaham pipped Houghton Cricket Club 3-2 to climb up to joint fifth place.

Mill View WMC dropped four points off the pace in Division Three after crashing to a 3-2 defeat at Richmond Town.

Despite plenty of pressure, Mill, with the wind at their backs in the first half, did not take their chances and duly paid the price as Richmond scored in the first minute of the second period, and went on to lead 3-0.

Mill made a couple of substitutions, which lifted them, and a late flurry saw Ashley and Anthony Hodgson score in the last 10 minutes, but, despite late pressure, it was too little too late.

Horden Sportsmans won 3-1 at Shildon Grey Horse to stay a point clear of Thornley Celtic, who beat Boldon Colliery Tavern by the same score.

Craig Griffiths slotted home from close range to put Horden in front, but the home team soon levelled from the penalty spot. The game became scrappy, but Horden eventually made the breakthrough, sealing the issue with late goals from Scott McAlinden and Lee Davis.

The Philadelphia defeated Hartlepool Greenside 3-0.

Two goals late in the first half gave Phili the impetus to see out the win. Mark Nixon picked up the ball on the edge of the area and steered his shot past the despairing keeper, then Paul Russell placed his shot into the top corner, following a good move.

Russell killed off Greenside when he collected a pass on the edgee of the box and jinked his way through a couple of tackles before slotting home.

Second-bottom Willow Pond boosted their slim survival hopes with a thrilling 7-4 victory over Hedworthfield Red Hackle.

Oddies need just eight points to clinch the Fourth Division title, following a 4-1 defeat of battling Durham City Strollers.

It was a close game in the first period, with Oddies only making the breakthrough when Micky Greeves scored with the last kick of the half.

Colin Reed grabbed a second soon after the restart and, though Strollers had chance, Ralph Dodd wrapped it up with two more goals, including a memorable 20-yard volley into the bottom corner.

Strollers responded with a 90th-minute consolation.

Ivy Legends lost 1-0 at second-top Sedgefield Black Lion, who trail Oddies by eight points and have five games to play.

Chaplins fought well for a goalless draw at Billingham Vets, while second-bottom Colonel Prior shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw at bottom club Hartlepool Vets, after leading.

Bottom club Easington CIU drew 0-0 with Hebburn Town – and, with a bit of luck, could have won their first game in the Premier Division this term.

They created the best chances and Norman Hird could have had a hat-trick. One effort produced a wonderful save from Hebburn’s keeper. Best for CIU were Hird, Kenny Lynch, Steve Adair and David Banks.

Red House WMC climbed above Steels SC into fifth place thanks to a 3-1 victory at second-bottom Washington Cross Keys.

Dubmire saw their Alan Spedding Cup final dreams dashed as semi-final visitors Hartlepool Gillen Arms hit back from the loss of a second-minute goal to win 3-2. Dubmire led 2-1 in the second half but succumbed to two goals in the last 10 minutes.