Over-40s League: Birthday boy Barker has the party piece to inspire Rolls-Royce success

Action from the over 40s match between John Hogg Funerals and Peterlee Helford(blue strips) at Silksworth last Saturday.
Action from the over 40s match between John Hogg Funerals and Peterlee Helford(blue strips) at Silksworth last Saturday.
Have your say

Rolls-Royce maintained their fine form with a 3-1 Third Division success away to Sheldon Grey Horse to sit in fourth place.

Rolls took the lead midway through the first half when Wayne Browell headed in Gary Barker’s cross.

Shildon, who improved as the game went on, equalised just before half-time to punish Rolls for some missed chances.

But birthday boy Gary Barker got on the score sheet to put Rolls 2-1 ahead, and Kevin Agnew killed the game off when he latched onto Barker;s pass and made no mistake after a good run through the middle.

A good day for Barker finished with him winning the domino card.

Oddies prop up the table still, after their sixth defeat in seven matches, 5-1 at home to Wingate Cons, who rose to fourth-bottom spot with their second win of the season.

Houghton Cricket stayed second-bottom after a 3-1 defeat at Redcar Old Boys,.

Washington JFC Biddick Inn were overwhelmed 7-1 at Redcar Town, while Willow Pond put up an excellent fight before being pipped 4-3 by second-top Stanley.

Stanley started well and led 2-0 in 10 minutes, Darren Rosser heading home and Michael Taylor firing in a half-volley from outside the box.

Willow got back into the game and had some chances, but they fell 3-0 behind as Andy Morpeth scored from a free-kick that missed everybody in the box.

Tony Teasdale made it four before sub Gary Golightly roused Willow with a 30-yard chip. Golightly capitalised on a goalkeeping mistake to make it 4-2, and they got within a goal when David Kelly’s cross was headed in for an own goal by Paul Harvey.

Willow piled on the pressure and had two good chances to snatch a draw, but Stanley held on.

Penshaw Catholic Club are up to third place in the Premier Division following a hard-earned 3-2 success at Heaton Stannington, their fourth win in seven games.

Heaton scored in the first few seconds through Andy Martin, but Penshaw came back strongly to equalise after 10 minutes through Chris Moody.

A Steve Preen goal, against the run of play, gave Heaton the lead again, but Penshaw deservedly went ahead with two further goals. Penshaw’s keeper ensured the win with a save to keep out Preen’s penalty.

Newly-promoted Wearmouth CW made it three league wins on the trot to go eighth, with Hebburn Town thumped 4-1, while Ryhope Foresters slipped to fourth after a 2-0 reverse at Tudhoe Black Horse.

Red House WMC rose to ninth place with their second win, 2-1 at bottom club Billingham Swan.

Leaders Marden cruised home 4-0 at Cramlington Burton House, thanks to Tony Healer (2), Steve Hart and Frankie Deverdis, but second-top Hartlepool Touchdown kept up their perfect record with a 2-1 victory at Wallsend Community.

Dubmire enjoyed their fifth win in seven games, 2-1 against Whitley Bay Seahorse, to climb into second place in Division One.

Hylton CW rose to fourth place thanks to a 4-1 drubbing of South Shields, while Grindon Broadway secured their third draw already this term, sharing the spoils in a 2-2 finish against Ferryhill Greyhound.

Seaham Marlborough scrapped for a point in a close-fought 0-0 draw with Thornley Celtic. Coxhoe Red Lion are still seeking a first win, after losing 3-1 to Dormans.

Easington CIU lost 2-1 at leaders Hartlepool Gillen Arms after leading. Nicky Lloyd’s brace won the day, with CIU defied by a fine performance from home keeper Paul Carter.

Mill View SC are up to seventh place in Division Two following a good 5-2 away victory at Hartlepool Catholic Club.

The Wearsiders showed great character to hit back from a two-goal deficit inside the first five minutes.

Mill got back into the game with a tremendous goal, and their good play was rewarded with two more strikes, Anth Hodgson from close range and Anthony Lavery, with a solo effort, for a 3-2 interval lead.

Mill ran out convincing, and worthy, winners as Hodgson and Chris Duddin, with a 30-yard screamer into the top corner, made it five.

John Hogg Funerals bagged their second win of the campaign, outgunning Peterlee Helford 3-1 to move into 10th place, while The Philadelphia have just one point from seven games following their 5-3 defeat in an action-packed clash at Pelton Crown Inn.

Pelton struck first, but Alan Jones latched onto a defence-splitting ball and beat the advancing keeper to level with a low drive.

Pelton regained the lead, but again Phili replied, their man of the match beating a defender on the left of the area, advancing and lashing home an unstoppable shot.

Pelton led for a third time only for Phili to equalise at 3-3. Paul Russell had a penalty saved, but a retake was ordered for encroachment.

Russell’s second effort was also saved, but he thumped home the rebound.

Crown’s pacy forwards led them home with two second-half goals.

Pelton’s marksmen were George Middlemiss, Kevin Mulvey, Neil Worley, Michael McAdam and Peter Bell.

Horden Sportsmans are second after their fifth win in seven games, 2-0 at home to Wallsend Boys Club. They remain a point behind front-runners Durham Stonebridge, whose sixth victory was a tight one, 2-1 at bottom club Gateshead Teams SC.

Ivy Legends endured their first defeat of the season in Division Four, going down 5-2 at fourth-top Sedgefield.

Ivy now trail 100% leaders Roseberry Grange by three points, as they won 4-2 at Trimdon Vets.

Oddfellows Arms celebrated their second win, climbing to ninth place after edging home 2-1 against bottom club Wearmouth Old Boys. Colonel Prior were beaten 4-1 at Heighington Bay Horse to drop to second-bottom.

Boldon Colliery Tavern, in third, extended their unbeaten record with a 1-1 draw at Hartlepool Vets, after leading with a fine strike into the top corner.

Durham County drew 2-2 with Billingham Vets to rise to fourth-bottom spot.