Old boy Fenwick sees off City with double

editorial image
Have your say

DURHAM City found in-form Dunston UTS – and particularly their former player Scott Fenwick – too hot to handle in Saturday’s FA Cup preliminary round tie.

Fenwick gave the Tynesiders a perfect start with a tremendous shot in the 10th minute and, after Andy Bulford doubled the lead before the interval, Fenwick ended the hopes of the Citizens with his header on 68 minutes.

Washington’s giant-killing ambitions evaporated in the space of 15 minutes against visitors Lancaster City.

Steven Hutchinson’s team successfully defended for half an hour, but then the floodgates opened as Aaron Taylor (3), Ryan Winder and Lee Dodgson scored before the interval.

From then on, it was a case of damage limitation, but the visitors still managed another two goals from Taylor and Dodgson to complete a 7-0 rout.

Seaham Red Star looked dead and buried when they went three goals down to Sefton Gonzales, Danny Wilkin and Richard Burns at Clitheroe, but a spirited rally almost earned them a replay.

Star’s Sonny Andrews converted a 68th minute penalty and it was all to play for when David Palmer sliced the deficit to a single goal two minutes later. The home side, though, survived a nervous last 20 minutes.

Spennymoor Town dominated for long periods, so much so that goalkeeper Will Jones, signed from Stamford, had a quiet debut at Tadcaster Albion, where goals from Anthony Peacock and Liam Henderson earned Moors their place in the first qualifying round.

Jarrow Roofing will replay their tie with Bishop Auckland at Boldon tomorrow night.

The teams shared in an eight-goal thriller, with Stuart Thompson (2), Glen Lane and Sean Carling on the mark for Bishops and man-of-the-match Lewis Teasdale (3) and Dan Kirkup, with an 88th minute equaliser to make the final score 4-4, replying for Roofing.

A penalty by Mark Hudson was sufficient for Shildon at Padiham, while Consett had to work hard for victory against Whickham. Michael Mackay (pen) and Chris Moore, with an added time strike, eventually saw the Steelmen home.

A big gate is expected at Heritage Park on Wednesday night for Darlington 1883’s replay against West Auckland.

Former Barnsley player Dennis Knight fired Anth Smith’s West in front before Adam Mitchell levelled for the Quakers.