O’Neill spot on to make sure of Ryhope CW cup progress

Ryhope CW scorer Nathan O'Neill
Ryhope CW scorer Nathan O'Neill
Have your say

Ryhope CW comfortably progressed into the second round of the Durham Challenge Cup last night, thanks to a 2-0 win at home to Billingham Town.

Joe Melvin fired them in front after just 10 minutes, beating keeper Thomas Dawson in style.

But Second Division Billingham made life tough until the top-flight side clinched victory in the 85th minute when James Ellis was fouled in the penalty box and Nathan O’Neill converted beat Dawson from the resulting penalty.

Tow Law Town lost 3-2 at home to Wearside League club Hartlepool in a fantastic cup tie.

Hartlepool goalkeeper Ed Wilczynski brilliantly saved a Dean Thexton penalty two minutes before the end to ensure victory.

The visitors led at half-time through a well taken Nat Skidmore goal. They doubled their lead three minutes into the second half following a Gillen Elliott tap-in.

Tow Law fought back to level things up, through Thexton and Michael Gibson before the hour mark.

But substitute Ethan Wood gave Hartlepool the lead with eight minutes remaining, before the late penalty drama.

Spennymoor Town crashed out of the cup when their much-changed side was heavily defeated, 7-2 by Darlington RA.

Yet the visitors opened the scoring on eight minutes, when Mark Anderson scored from the spot.

However, RA then scored six goals without reply, including a brace from Tom Craddock and further goals from Andy Johnson, Sam Nugent, Steve Telford and Nathan Fisher, to put the home side 6-1 up.

Anderson pulled another one back for Spennymoor, but Gareth McMann finished the scoring with a strong shot to make it 7-2.

Whickham and Consett played out a 0-0 draw after 90 minutes in a fairly even game, with both sides having the odd chance in the match.

However, the match went to penalties with visitors Consett winning 5-4.

Newton Aycliffe were comfortable 3-1 home winners over Bishop Auckland by 3-1.

However, it was Bishops who took the lead on the half hour mark when Adam Nicholls beat keeper James Winter following a corner.

Five minutes later, Zak Boagey scored a screamer from 25 yards, giving visiting keeper Scott Pocklington no chance.

Another great shot, this time from Ben Wood from 30 yards on the hour, put Aycliffe ahead. John Campbell curled a free-kick around the wall into the corner of the net with five minutes to go to seal the hosts’ win.