Northern League: Waters strike not enough as Washington slip to fourth-bottom spot after Guisborough defeat

Washington boss Neil Hixon
Washington boss Neil Hixon
Have your say

Washington endured disappointment in last night’s bottom-six First Division game at Guisborough Town.

After conceding twice in the opening 20 minutes, the Mechanics got back into the match, but ended 3-1 behind after the home side struck the third goal eight minutes into the second half.

Neil Hixon’s side made the worst possible start, going behind with just 14 minutes gone as Matty Pennal converted a Thibault Charmey pass.

Worse was to follow when Chris Youlden’s effort was cleared from the line, but the ball bounced to on-loan striker Anthony Hume and he blasted the ball into the net from close range to double the Priorymen’s lead.

Washington’s hopes received a lift when Matty Waters rose above his marker and his header cut the deficit with an hour remaining.

But they faced an uphill battle when, in the 53rd minute, Pennal powered his way into the penalty area and gave goalkeeper Dan Mullen no chance with his second goal of the night.

Defeat dropped Washington to fourth-bottom spot, with seven points from 11 games.

North Shields stretched their lead at the top of the table over South Shields to five points by defeating Penrith 2-0, thanks to goals by Lee Mason and Gareth Bainbridge.

In Division Two, Stockton Town lost their unbeaten record to Billingham Synthonia, who preserved theirs.

It wasn’t until the 81st minute that Max Craggs broke the deadlock, converting a penalty, and he was again on target in added time to secure three crucial points for impressive Synners.

Bottom club Esh Winning surprisingly held leaders Team Northumbria to just one goal. Kevin Carr was the marksman and Team are now four points ahead of Stockton in pole position.

Willington suffered a 10th defeat in 15 games, going down 3-2 to Bedlington Terriers, whose marksmen were Luke Scott (2) and Jack Foalle. The Hall Lane side twice levelled as Jason White fired home two spot kicks.

Channon North gave Hebburn Town the perfect start with a first-minute goal and Glen Hargrave back-heeled into the net just before the interval to secure a 2-0 victory at home to Darlington RA.