Northern League: Washington boss Steve Hutchinson thrilled with Mechanics’ super start

Ryhope CW (red and white) threaten the Thornaby goal on Saturday
Ryhope CW (red and white) threaten the Thornaby goal on Saturday
Have your say

Washington manager Steven Hutchinson is not counting any chickens, but he can’t hide his satisfaction at the team’s impressive start to life in the top flight.

After defeating Ashington and holding leaders Morpeth Town to a draw as well as winning at AFC Darwen in the FA Cup, the newly-promoted Mechanics defeated FA Carlsberg Vase winners North Shields on Saturday.

“We were sloppy in the first half,” said Hutchinson.

“A lot of teams would have crumbled and folded, but we showed tremendous character, commitment and attitude during the second period and fully deserved to win 3-2.”

David Pounder, signed from Durham City, bagged both goals for the Robins, with Mark Davison, Matthew Fisher and James Cassidy on target for Hutchinson’s high-fliers, who next visit Dunston UTS tomorrow.

Seaham Red Star are also holding their own.

Their opening two fixtures resulted in draws, but they got off the mark against Newton Aycliffe with a 1-0 victory, thanks to Nick Kane’s sixth-minute strike.

Star were forced onto the defensive in the closing stages, but Mark Collingwood’s men stood firm, with Daryl Donnelly and Carl Thorpe, in particular, showing good form.

Star are at Jarrow Roofing tomorrow.

Sunderland RCA claimed their first point, holding Jarrow Roofing to a 2-2 draw.

Luke Proctor volleyed past Andy Hunter for RCA’s opening goal, but Martin Swales’ side was rocked when John Campbell and David Gordon scored in the space of a minute to turn the game on its head.

The Wearsiders, though, did not wilt and claimed a deserved equaliser, with Proctor curling a fantastic effort past Hunter from 25 yards.

RCA have a Wednesday night trip to West Allotment.

Durham City lost for the third consecutive time, going down 2-0 at Ashington. Following successive defeats, Colliers’ manager Stephen Harmison broke his duck as Andrew Johnson scored both goals.

Morpeth Town are in pole position after seeing off out-of-sorts West Auckland 2-0, with Michael Chilton striking twice. Despite playing the last 40 minutes with 10 men, following Stephen Forster’s straight red card, Morpeth comfortably held on.

It was a tale of three penalties when second-placed Shildon won 2-0. Mark Doninger converted two spot-kicks, but Bedlington Terriers’ Dean Briggs hit the crossbar with his penalty.

Dunston UTS are third, equal on points with Shildon and fourth-placed Guisborough Town.

A late strike by Andy Bulford earned UTS the points at home to Whitley Bay, while Guisborough edged Consett 2-1 thanks to Chay Liddle and Peter Bulmer. Kieran Megran had levelled for the Steelmen.

Paul Brayson fired a hat-trick as Newcastle Benfield won their derby 6-2 at West Allotment, while Bishop Auckland endured a dismal 3-0 defeat at Penrith.

Glen Taylor fired the only goal to earn Spennymoor Town a first win in the Evo-Stik League First Division North, beating Radcliffe Borough 1-0 at the Brewery Field.