Northern League: Terriers’ point deepens troubles for Durham City

Have your say

Durham City’s plight in the Ebac Northern League First Division relegation zone worsened last night when Bedlington Terriers claimed a crucial point against Newcastle Benfield.

By early in the second period, Terriers were two goals up courtesy of Keelan Nellis and Marc Walton, but Benfield battled back. Player-manager Paul Brayson halved the deficit on 68 minutes and five minutes from time Dan Taylor made the final score 2-2.

Durham have dropped to second-bottom, with Bedlington now a point above them.

Jarrow Roofing will also be anxiously looking over their shoulders following a 5-0 rout at North Shields.

Gareth Bainbridge’s 12th-minute strike separated the teams at the halfway stage, but the Robins took charge of the second period.

Bainbridge doubled the lead on 50 minutes and when Peter Glen-Ravenhill bagged a brace in the space of four minutes by the 58th minute, it was all over for Richie McLoughlin’s side.

Substitute Ryan Carr hit a late fifth goal.

FA Vase semi-finalists Morpeth Town lost 3-2 at Bishop Auckland. Andrew Johnson was a fourth-minute marksman for the hosts and, after Callum Patton levelled, Bishops went ahead for a second time through Arjun Purewal.

Once again, Morpeth equalised thanks to Keith Graydon but it was Bishops who took the points, thanks to a late strike by Scott McCarthy.

Sunderland RCA were saved a long journey to Penrith when their fixture was postponed.

In Division Two, bottom-four sides Birtley Town and Alnwick drew 3-3.

The visitors raced into a two-goal lead by the 11th minute, thanks to Lewis Robson and Tom McPherson, but by the last minute of normal time Birtley were 3-2 ahead.

An own goal threw them a lifeline, with Tony Smith and Andy Townsend also netting, but Rob Baker grabbed a dramatic, late equaliser for Alnwick who are four points and one place ahead of third-bottom Birtley.

Crook Town stunned Northallerton in a 4-2 win, with Joshua Bynoe (2), Callum Johnson and Nick Marley netting.

Willington improved their chances of escaping the drop with a 2-1 home win over Darlington RA. Andy Lee scored both goals after Ashley Lavan had notched for RA.

Brandon United hit form, defeating Thornaby 4-1 courtesy of James Ellis (2), Kevin Duffy-Weekes and Vinny Gash.

Billingham Synthonia are now only a couple of points behind second-top Ryhope CW and seven adrift of leaders South Shields.

They stretched an impressive winning sequence although it wasn’t easy against Esh Winning, who are second-bottom.

Jamie Barton’s goal was all that divided the teams until deep into added time when Sam Garvie’s strike made certain that all three points would be going to Synners.