Northern League: Shildon 13 points clear after rout of Roofing

Have your say

Shildon are now 13 points ahead in the Ebac Northern League First Division following last night’s five-goal blitz of Jarrow Roofing at Dean Street.

Only one goal separated the pair at the halfway stage with Ben Wood’s fifth-minute strike giving Shildon the edge.

But Roofing wilted in the second period as Billy Greulich Smith rifled a hat-trick and Anthony Bell also scored in the 5-0 win.

There was further good news for Shildon when sixth-placed Marske United went down 2-1 to North Shields at the Daren Persson Stadium.

First-half strikes by Michael McKeown and Dan Wilson had the Robins on top but when Josh Myers halved the deficit in the 67th minute it was all to play for.

Shields, though, soaked up late pressure from the visitors who would have gone fourth had they won.

Bishop Auckland were the highest scorers of the night when they hit Consett for six.

Scoring predator Andrew Johnson was again in superb form for the Two Blues at Heritage Park.

He ruthlessly rifled four goals with Scott McCarthy and Priestley Griffiths also beating visiting goalkeeper Peter Jeffries, on his return to Bishops.

It was Consett though who scored first.

With only a couple of minutes on the watch Bishops’ debutant goalkeeper, Edward Wilcynski, on loan from Huddersfield Town, was beaten by Jordan Nellis, who claimed a second consolation goal just before the end.

There’s still no respite for Birtley Town who stay second bottom in Division Two.

Jim Wilson, with a brace, Christian Holliday and Josh Hewson swept Darlington RA to a 4-0 victory.

A further blow for Birtley was an injury to goalkeeper Mark Fish who had to be replaced by Dominic McMahon.

Easington Colliery fought out a goalless draw at Hebburn Town and remain sixth.

After taking an early second-half lead through Reece Brown, Crook Town had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Ryton and Crawcrook Albion for whom Callum Turnbull grabbed a late equaliser at the Millfield Ground.

South Shields went out of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup at Billingham Synthonia for whom Sam Garvie converted two penalties before John Grey set the home side’s nerves jangling when he netted three minutes from the end.

Brandon United also reached the last four when an only goal by James Ellis proved sufficient at home to Billingham Town.

Synners and Brandon join Ryhope CW and Northallerton Town in the semi-finals.